Oi, I'm not obese I'm disabled.

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited January 2015 in The cake stop
Obesity can constitute a disability in certain circumstances, the EU's highest court has ruled.

The European Court of Justice was asked to consider the case of a male childminder in Denmark who says he was sacked for being too fat.

The court said that if obesity could hinder "full and effective participation" at work then it could count as a disability.

The ruling is binding across the EU.

'Kin' 'ell whatever next? :roll:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    I struggle to understand and program Siemens PLC's at work, am I entitled to a disability allowance? Or is it just bending over and tying your shoelace that counts?
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Everyone in UKIP has a grin from ear to ear today.
  • So, in specific circumstances, specific obese people may count as disabled for the purposes of equality law. Not really the same thing as "EU says obesity is a disability", but you can guarantee that's how it'll be reported. To be filed with Winterval and Straight Bananas, another demi-semi-hemi-half-truth to be wheeled out by the Kippers and their fellow travellers in the press every time they're short on actual thoughts. That is to say, all the time
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    So, in specific circumstances, specific obese people may count as disabled for the purposes of equality law. Not really the same thing as "EU says obesity is a disability", but you can guarantee that's how it'll be reported. To be filed with Winterval and Straight Bananas, another demi-semi-hemi-half-truth to be wheeled out by the Kippers and their fellow travellers in the press every time they're short on actual thoughts. That is to say, all the time

Mister Muncher, what sort of forum name is that then? Are you a closet fatty who like pies or likes girls who can be easily manipulated with a family pack of crisps? :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Old nickname. Based on an American customs guy attempting to pronounce my surname. But maybe one of those things.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    That is the problem. If the press are going to lead the Europe referendum, is Joe public going to really develop a clear un-bastardised understanding of it's implications?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I'd like to believe the internet has eroded the power of the press. Now we have multiple outlets for smaller voices. Shame they're all idiots too, really.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Should endear the overweight British voters to the EU for once.
  • pinno
    florerider wrote:

In any political campaign, you do need 'heavy weights'.

I'll get my coat.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    How many disabilities are self imposed? How many disabilities can be reversed by life style choices?

Fair enough if someone is capable of doing a job regardless of their weight then give them a chance to prove it.

My issue is the amount of people who are classified as obese who now have an excuse not to apply for work and instead claim disability allowance.
  • pinno
    Frank Lampard doesn't claim benefits.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Frank Lampard doesn't claim benefits.

Thats because hes fat and a **** rather than just fat :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    florerider wrote:

I'll get my coat.

as much as it pains me to say this............... that was very good :lol:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    matthew h wrote:
    florerider wrote:

I'll get my coat.

as much as it pains me to say this............... that was very good :lol:

Please don't encourage him :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    If someone has a genetic disorder, then that's a disability, same as being (say) blind.

If someone has dodgy knees because they're fat and don't exercise (like my former neighbour) then that's just being a fat, lazy slob.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    ...if so if would be handy for parking...on disabled parking bays... yellowlines and all that..Appeal against your parking ticket cos you are obese
    jc
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    SecretSam wrote:
    If someone has a genetic disorder, then that's a disability, same as being (say) blind.

If someone has dodgy knees because they're fat and don't exercise (like my former neighbour) then that's just being a fat, lazy slob.

If a fatty needs help to continue in work, then why not? the alternative is they ll be out of a job and on benefits which i ll have to pay towards.
    Once you go down the path of the undeserving "disabled" we might find descrimination against people injured through bad or drink driving and sports injuries.
    Would it not be better if we had really food labeling, a return to teaching home economics in schools and taxes on fast food outlets?
  • Don't over tax fast food outlets, sort the sugar lobby out. Far too much added unnecessary sugar in all kinds of food/drink.
    Tail end Charlie

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Sugar isn't the worst carbohydrate, people have sugar substitute in their cuppa and then eat two slices of white bread toast, one teaspoon of sugar is 5grams of well, sugar and two slices of white bread toast is 26 grams of sugar!

People eat too many carbohydrates.

Education is a wonderful thing, perhaps they could reintroduce it in the UK :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    Hmm...but

The fatties get an addiction for the sugary and salty stuff. Sugar is added to Heinz baked beans for example. Why? Producers know that if they add salt and sugar, it is more likely to be purchased.
    Isn't the carbohydrate derived from bread better than the carbohydrate from refined sugar, usually in the form of Corn Syrup? Doesn't bread also contain Calcium and Iron? Corn syrup is more addictive than refined sugar.

But beware...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    GI is important for measuring the speed of sugar but glycemic load is the important factor, an entire can of beans contains 15 grams of fast acting sugar but the two slices of toast contains 26 grams of equally fast acting sugar. The GI is the same.

Beans on a jacket potato has 7 grams of sugar in the beans and 42 grams of sugar in the potato.

Most people are focussing their attention on the wrong sugar, it's all about quantity.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    So im going to binge eat and then enter the disabled cycle races :-)
  • pinno
    cadseen wrote:

Make sure you binge on the right sugars with the highest Glycemic Load.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    cadseen wrote:

I'm going to enter in the lazy category. Someone actually turned up for a race once, they were disqualified for faking their disability.
  • The reason why so much refined sugar is added to a lot of processed food is due the amount of salt that was added to enhance the flavour of the poor quality food. As there is so much salt in it they need to balance it out with sugar to tone down the saltiness.
    I don't think being fat should be classed as a disability but then again any extreme sport injury can also be looked at by some as "self inflicted " so we run the risk of being singled out as well at some point. There needs to be some common sense though ....... so being fat should still not be regarded as a disability!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    jc4lab wrote:
    ...if so if would be handy for parking...on disabled parking bays... yellowlines and all that..Appeal against your parking ticket cos you are obese

TV report I saw mentioned disabled parking spaces closer to work as a possible benefit, no irony detected whatsoever.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Franf the Mobilty Scooter doesn't have the same ring to it.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Franf the Mobilty Scooter doesn't have the same ring to it.
    :lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Anyone fancy £2k a month for doing nout? Get stuck into those kebabs and cream cakes.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]