First we had Chinarellos...

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
edited December 2014 in Road general
...now we have Chinese copy Look frames doing the rounds. What are we going to call these, Chinooks?
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson

Comments

• There's plenty of Chinagos out there too.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I believe they're known as Lookalikes.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Strange that Look are only now informing us all. These Look replicas have been on the market for at least 2 years.In fact if you take a look at the Alibaba site theres a number of other top end frames for sale by some of the better frame manufacturers. Obviously looking at the prices they are copies or fakes or replicas whatever you want to call them but certainly not the original frames. Same could be said for the fake wheels, bars, stems and just about anything else that fits on a bike and its all available on the Alibaba website and has been for years. :wink:
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    It's a real pity we can't sell them fake Rhino horn... now there's an idea.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Given that that ropey country has just produced this below, the only thing that is surprising about the bike frames is that so few designs have been targeted so far.

235442E200000578-0-image-2_1416785103517.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217

Shouldn't that be LookyLikey?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    There have been fake Look for as long if not longer then Pinarello or Scott or Colnago. They are probably one if the most copied down the years. I know fake Look pedals have been around for years.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    ...now we have Chinese copy Look frames doing the rounds. What are we going to call these, Chinooks?
    They will be 'Chooks'

And being fakes, will not be distributed by the official importer, R J Chicken Cycles...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Rook 695
  • ademort
    MichaelW wrote:
    Rook 695
    either that or Wuk 695.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Isn't it a 695 with rice?
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    I have never seen a Fake Colnago in real life. Someone above mentioned there are a few. Have any of you come across them? I'm not looking to buy one just curious that I haven't seen one. Or maybe they are such good copies I just do not recognise them as copies....
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    I saw a fake bianchi carbon frame, dreadful quality, several holes all over the frame for no obvious reason, a guy was paying a bike mechanic I use to build it up and he was having to take a file to it to get the forks to fit the headtube, shocking piece of junk.
  • ademort
    comsense wrote:
    I have never seen a Fake Colnago in real life. Someone above mentioned there are a few. Have any of you come across them? I'm not looking to buy one just curious that I haven't seen one. Or maybe they are such good copies I just do not recognise them as copies....

Just go onto www.alibaba.com and type in colnago bicycle frame and you will see them. You can also get matching bar/stem combo and seatpin.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Why would anyone copy a Look frame, they're hideous fugly things?
  • rolf_f
    JackPozzi wrote:
    Why would anyone copy a Look frame, they're hideous fugly things?

The more intelligent question would have been "Who would knowingly buy a fake Look frame when much of the point of them is the quality of the carbon engineering"?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Ah someone's got a fugly...
  • rolf_f
    JackPozzi wrote:
    Ah someone's got a fugly...

Are you normally this dense or is it only on Fridays? Of course, aesthetics are a matter of taste but this looks perfectly inoffensive to me. Nicer without the Cosmics perhaps but that's not the frames fault.

look-695-14-DS-1000.jpg
  • And the copy
    ydyqr.jpg
  • ademort
    fabriciom wrote:
    And the copy
    ydyqr.jpg

Here,s a link to another LOOK 695 http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/l ... 33838.html
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    That alibaba link uses a pic from Epic Cycles from a couple of years ago. I recognise the bike and the brick showroom wall. In fact I looked at that very bike. So not only a fake bike, it's a fake pic from the Chinese seller.

I see that many of "Look" frames pictured on alibaba don't appear to have the special Look stem, seatpost and bottom bracket.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Mercia Man wrote:
    That alibaba link uses a pic from Epic Cycles from a couple of years ago. I recognise the bike and the brick showroom wall. In fact I looked at that very bike. So not only a fake bike, it's a fake pic from the Chinese seller.

I see that many of "Look" frames pictured on alibaba don't appear to have the special Look stem, seatpost and bottom bracket.

This may shock you but that Epic Cycles brick wall is just a pic poster. Thats fake too!
  • You can easily spot the fakes because of the stem, seatpost and missing look logo in the rear on top of the brakes.
    The Chinese version comes with pressfit30 BB.
  • ademort
    Mercia Man wrote:

You mean like this one http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/l ... 00575.html complete with stem, seatpost and crankset. :D:wink:
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    ademort wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:
    That...bracket.

You mean like this one http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/l ... 00575.html complete with stem, seatpost and crankset. :D:wink:

I left a message. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    fabriciom wrote:
    You can easily spot the fakes because of the stem, seatpost and missing look logo in the rear on top of the brakes.
    The Chinese version comes with pressfit30 BB.

You could also look at the price.........
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • If I had money I would order one.
  • If I had money I would order one.

Except for some minor detail errors I've got not complaints so far.

I wanted to learn on a Chinese frame before forking out 4k on a real one.

By the way the "copy" is mine. Everything except the group and pedals are all copies...
  • DJ58 wrote:

Shouldn't that be LookyLikey?

The correct name for a Chinese Look is a 'Rook'.