Deore M531 9spd rear mech on 6spd cassette?

Tiberius007
Tiberius007 Posts: 195
edited April 2015 in The workshop
Hi Guys
Any advice on the compatibility of this 9 spd mech on a 6 spd cassette? I have read it should be ok but then others ay not!
Just a cheap commuter I am replacing some parts on - I have used Deore on another build but it was like for like i.e. full 9spd throughout
The Deore seems a much better part than the Tourney (which is compatible), and the same price. Before I waste my money do I just get the Tourney or is the Deore going to be OK?
Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will work absolutely fine, the cable pull ratio didn't change from 5 all the way through to 9 speed, or even 10 speed for road bikes (not MTB). Have a look at buying a decent mech used (here on classifieds or eBay) we have a couple of bikes on "8 speed" XT which cost less than a new Deore and are lighter and better made.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cool. Thanks for the advice.
    I can get the Deore for £10 which I thought was pretty good for what i need. Would you still recommend a diff mech or at this price is it OK?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For that I'd stick with the new Deore, the XT usually cost us about £15-20 inc delivery (EBay and be patient!), although one cost about £6 as I recall.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks again. I will see if I can get the Deore then as I did like it on my new build. Fingers crossed.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm using a 10-speed 105 with Sora 9-speed shifters, no problems.

In theory all you need to match is number of cogs on the rear cassette and the number of clicks on the shifter.

Tourney is rubbish, look at replacing it with Alivio or Acera parts as a minimum.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I'm using a 10-speed 105 with Sora 9-speed shifters, no problems.

In theory all you need to match is number of cogs on the rear cassette and the number of clicks on the shifter.

Tourney is rubbish, look at replacing it with Alivio or Acera parts as a minimum.
    Bringing road stuff into an MTB discussion just confuses things as MTB and road 10 speed stuff are not mixable.

MTB Shimano 10 speed use a different pull ratio than road or earlier MTB stuff.

Sora 9 speed shifters would not work with a shimano 10 speed MTB rear mech. But you could use shimano 10 speed STIs with a shimano 9 speed MTB rear mech and a 10 speed cassette.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Tiberius007
    Tiberius007 Posts: 195
    Thanks guys for all your help with my choice and apologies for not responding sooner.

I have kept it all MTB stuff, and gone away from the Tourney and gone down the Alivio set up which is more than enough for what I need on this bike.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.