Is anyone thinking of entering the fred 2015?

2»

Comments

• Thats it, fully paid up now.

Evening rides are ok for me as I don't mind the dark and have decent winter gear. I just wish all this forecast snow would GTF over to the Alps so I can ski there in a few weeks and ride here in the meantime.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Yep I need to get a turbo sharpish
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Well i entered the lottery to keep my niece happy. She never got in but i did :-( never done a uk sportive. Done w few in malllorca but having nit turned a single pedal for six months i think this could be beyond me! Might give it a go but i think might have to look at the bike. Got a 53-11 on mine. Will go for a ride this weekend find some hills then decide. Not got much time for a bit of training?
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I'm in 8)
    Not been on my bike for 6 months and put a few pounds on too! I'm on second week of diet now and lost a good few pounds already. Slowly ramping up Turbo sessions as well. On it every other day for 40 minute sessions at the moment during the week and a 1 hour session over the weekend.
    When weather improves I will be getting out on the roads again and building up the endurance.
    My first Fred Whitton, will be a 2 stage plan;
    1) Survive the day
    2) Get round
    :D

p.s
    The Lakeland Loop Sportive uses some of the Fred Whitton route and is a great event http://www.epicevents.co.uk/cycle-sportives/the-lakeland-loop-cycle-sportive-april-26th-2015.html
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Rich,

I'm in too, however I live up here now so if you fancy a scouting trip give me a shout and I'll show you some of those molehills you're worrying about. Get in contact nearer the time and we'll sort something out as well. I feel a reunion coming on.
  • Whooooooooooo!!!!!!

How's it going mate? Yeh I've got a survey to do in Penrith shortly but I'm away skiing next week so might to pass it over. If not I'll PM you or forward me your email and at this rate we'll have our own peloton going.

Anyway, who's worried?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    PM Incoming, having done all the climbs/passes before I'm not overly worried, but hitting Hardknott after 100 miles in has been giving me ever so slightly sleepless nights. Still I have no excuse, it's on my doorstep!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Mike wrote:
    PM Incoming, having done all the climbs/passes before I'm not overly worried, but hitting Hardknott after 100 miles in has been giving me ever so slightly sleepless nights. Still I have no excuse, it's on my doorstep!

Hint: The second feed stop is about 6-7 miles from the foot of Hardknott, so take advantage of the opportunity to re-fuel and you'll be fine. Sweet tea was a particularly welcome elixir!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Of course it it's like 2013 you wont be able to get into the second feed stop for people queuing out of the door to escape the cold ! Hopefully they sort something outside if that is the case this time round as I had to go straight through because I didn't want to stand around getting cold and luckily I had have a bottle of water left.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • It seem accomodation on the Saturday is going to be a problem...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • I'm planning on camping (well in a nice comfy motorhome) any recommendations for campsites nearby?

Steve.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    We're booked into Langdale YHA - less than 2 miles from Grasmere so a nice little warm up before the ride. I'm ignoring the fact we have to climb back up to it after the Fred though !
  • Similar, we've booked a wooden (and heated) camping pod at the YHA in Hawkshead, about a 6 mile drive to the event and they let us stay for a single night, £60 between two of us and we don't need to dismantle the tent!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Got booked in at Skelwith fold caravan park near Ambleside. There for 3 nights (Fri sat sun) If anyone fancies a little ride out fri aft or sat let me know.
    Steve.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    I would avoid trying to drive to Grasmere on the day of the event. There were very long queues on the main road into Grasmere last year.