Tyre Lever Fail

Nick Cod
Nick Cod Posts: 321
edited December 2014 in Workshop
So I’ve seen many a post on BR on what you should carry with you on a ride and everyone has their own views. However I would have thought a tyre lever is a pretty important piece of kit to have as we’ve all had it, few miles into a ride or from home that feeling the bike is slowing down and a sudden realisation that you’ve got a flat and can feel every bump in the road

So such an instance happened to me on my last outing about three miles from home. No great problem be thinks spare tube in the back of my jersey, swap it out and fix the damaged one when I get home

Popped the wheel off, removed the pump from the frame, muliti tool tyre leaver ready to go. Sudden realisation the tyre leaver was knackered and was bending itself round the rim the moment I applied any pressure to dislodge the tyre. Now I’m normally quite through and if I had noticed on last use the tyre lever was cream crackered I would have taken an additional one with me

After some perseverance I managed to remove the tyre and get myself back on the road. However my question is this, has anyone ever had any problems with plastic tyre leavers in colder weather? Mine was a Park Tools one, part of a multi tool so would have expected it to be quite robust but in all honesty is now pretty useless

Thoughts
2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
2013 Cayo Evo 3
2013 Zesty 414
2002 Avalanche 0.0
2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Not experienced using the plastic variety.

Have some trusty old steel levers that have served me well for quite a few years. Similar to these on offer at Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raleigh-ART151- ... yre+levers

They are a bit clunky and heavier than the plastic ones but it would take a lot to bend them even in the most extreme conditions
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I use these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod55931

Plastic outer to prevent scratches, steel core for strength. I've had the same experience as you with plastic levers, both in the cold and when dealing with stiff tyres (e.g. tubeless or wire beaded).
  • Bare hands normally does the trick. If you get the bead on the opposite side into the well it should just push off with your thumbs. Failing that a stern glare often helps.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I had a Topeak multitool, the lever failed the first time I used it as did the chain tool, both at home fortunately. The hex keys were ok. First pair of plastic levers I got snapped straight away as well.
    After that I reverted to carrying my dad's old steel levers with me, must be at least 40 years old by now and realistically I don't expect to have to replace them.
  • Next time, remember that you can use the QR levers on your skewers.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've found plastic Continental tyre levers to be utterly reliable. Used them in freezing conditions (when others have snapped like butter) and also for mounting tubeless tyres. They've stood up great and they won't damage your alloy rims either.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    For out on the road I've got 3 Park tyre levers in my saddle bag for when those visits happen, at home I have metal and plastic levers and use whatever I find first.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I once had to knock on a door and ask for 2 spoons,, very embarresing
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Plastic ones are a bit weak if used on their own. So I use 2 and move them apart as I leaver the tyre off. Metal ones are good but knacker the rims.

I've now got good at removing tyres without levers just takes a bit of practice.
  • i have a set of the decathlon bright green levers. never had an issue year round. i always carry at least a couple so hopefully if one dos snap i can use the other ok?? i'd be concerned about using metal ones as i am a bit heavy handed and will end up damaging the rim..
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Bare hands normally does the trick. If you get the bead on the opposite side into the well it should just push off with your thumbs. Failing that a stern glare often helps.
    Fine for folding clinchers. Not a snowball's for tubeless.