garmin alternative...

tawraste
tawraste Posts: 8
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
hi all,
I'm new here, and hoping you can help!
I'm an 810 owner who has finally lost faith. I'm in the market for a new bike computer and I'm looking for any advice I can get my hands on.
Basic requirements:
current speed
heart rate monitor
cadence
ability to get my hands on the ride data with a pc

I'm through with all the gimics like phone connectivity, turn by turn directions, etc. I just want something that works consistently that I can use on my commutes and on my turbo trainer.
If strava would just support a cadence sensor for android it would be so much cheaper and simpler!

Thanks for any input/experiences/advice,

Regards,

Tawraste

Comments

• tawraste wrote:
    hi all,
    I'm an 810 owner who has finally lost faith. I'm in the market for a new bike computer and I'm looking for any advice I can get my hands on.
    Basic requirements:
    current speed
    heart rate monitor
    cadence

I'm through with all the gimics like phone connectivity, turn by turn directions, etc. I just want something that works consistently that I can use on my commutes and on my turbo trainer.
    If strava would just support a cadence sensor for android it would be so much cheaper and simpler!

Regards,

Tawraste

I have a friend with a Garmin 810 and he hates it for all those reasons.

He is constantly telling me how mich he prefers my gadget, how much easier it is to use, how much better it does all the basics.

Its a Garmin 800! Less money, industrial reliability, childs play to use.
  • Thanks for your reply.

You've used the word reliability! I shall look closer at this unit.

still looking for a non garmin solution tho. I've come to react towards garmin like i do toward apple!
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Haha, I'd love a apple-garmin co lab device. Don't need mapping love my edge 500
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Whilst understanding your desire for a non Garmin solution I have to add my experience to that of Dippydog and say that my 800 has never given me a moments problem in nearly two years and I love it. Sorry.
  • jimwalsh
    jimwalsh Posts: 113
    I have a cyclo mio 505 which does the job for me.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    tawraste wrote:
    hi all,
    Basic requirements:
    current speed
    heart rate monitor
    cadence

Regards,

Tawraste
    Garmin Edge 500?
    Mio 305?
    Just ignore the functions of the 810 you don't care about? You don't have to connect it to a phone or use the mapping and routing.
  • thanks for your suggestions of different bike computers.
    as for ignoring the features that I do not need - one of those features is the heart rate monitoring which is a feature I must have.
    Please bear in mind that I have reduced my needs in the search for a viable computer. When I paid a massive amount of money for the 810 I was expecting the advertised features to work.....
    Anyway, I think I've found a solution:
    Someone on another forum has recommended ipbike, and I am due for a phone upgrade and the model I am interested in supports ant+. Ipbike has a million rear wheel revolution trial and if it goes ok then the 810 is going on ebay and I will never use a Garmin computer again.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Edge 500. Forget phone apps and get something made for the job.
  • "Forget phone apps and get something made for the job."
    If someone would suggest an alternative to a garmin unit I would love it. I would check out all the reviews and get into the tech data and probably buy one and try it out (currently doing this with the mio brand). Unfortunately a lot of people are suggesting other garmin units (on other forums too) but my experience with the brand has been so utterly appalling I am actually willing to consider any other option.
    When you say "made for the job" I simply have a lot of trouble linking that concept with a garmin product.
  • Others will doubtless disagree, but my Bryton rider 40 continues to give great service. All Bryton units are ant+ compatible so you can run cadence and heart rate, even power meters with the Rider 20, which can be picked up for 50 or 60 quid. The pic interface is a little less automated and integrated than Garmin, but it's simple enough to operate, and if an extra two or three clicks to throw the files to Strava, I don't know what to say.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I really think you should try phone apps or, even worse, Brytons, before you get rid of your Garmin.

Then again, may be a 4 hour battery life is unimportant to your need
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Others will doubtless disagree, but my Bryton rider 40 continues to give great service. All Bryton units are ant+ compatible so you can run cadence and heart rate, even power meters with the Rider 20, which can be picked up for 50 or 60 quid. The pic interface is a little less automated and integrated than Garmin, but it's simple enough to operate, and if an extra two or three clicks to throw the files to Strava, I don't know what to say.

I also have a Bryton rider 40 and it's been faultless for all functions including directions. I did an audax earlier this year and the 5 people with me all had Garmins, all of them went wrong somewhere on the route and the only one that worked the whole way round was my Bryton. I do multiple rides before having to charge mine up
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    tawraste wrote:
    thanks for your suggestions of different bike computers.
    as for ignoring the features that I do not need - one of those features is the heart rate monitoring which is a feature I must have.
    I don't understand this. I just said ignore the features you don't need. If you want HR then don't ignore it. It isn't linked to the other features. You can use HR, cadence, speeds without maps/routing/phone connections/etc. Are there problems with the unit that you haven't stated?

I have a 800 and frequently ignore the mapping and routing but quite happily only have displayed HR, cadence, speed.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    graememacd wrote:
    Others will doubtless disagree, but my Bryton rider 40 continues to give great service. All Bryton units are ant+ compatible so you can run cadence and heart rate, even power meters with the Rider 20, which can be picked up for 50 or 60 quid. The pic interface is a little less automated and integrated than Garmin, but it's simple enough to operate, and if an extra two or three clicks to throw the files to Strava, I don't know what to say.

I also have a Bryton rider 40 and it's been faultless for all functions including directions. I did an audax earlier this year and the 5 people with me all had Garmins, all of them went wrong somewhere on the route and the only one that worked the whole way round was my Bryton. I do multiple rides before having to charge mine up

Yawn.

Yet the Brytons forums (I researched them before buying my 1000) are full of people moaning about dire battery life and the need for a PhD in IT to get it to talk to Strava.

I quickly came to the conclusion that Bryton are probably owned by Fischer Price and there is a reason why they are so cheap.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Wow. A forum had a higher proportion of people with problems than those without. That's conclusive proof right there.

If the process of uploading files to Strava from a Bryton is too mentally taxing for someone, it's definitely a case of PICNIC.
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    graememacd wrote:
    Others will doubtless disagree, but my Bryton rider 40 continues to give great service. All Bryton units are ant+ compatible so you can run cadence and heart rate, even power meters with the Rider 20, which can be picked up for 50 or 60 quid. The pic interface is a little less automated and integrated than Garmin, but it's simple enough to operate, and if an extra two or three clicks to throw the files to Strava, I don't know what to say.

Yawn.

Yet the Brytons forums (I researched them before buying my 1000) are full of people moaning about dire battery life and the need for a PhD in IT to get it to talk to Strava.

I quickly came to the conclusion that Bryton are probably owned by Fischer Price and there is a reason why they are so cheap.

So you don't actually have experience of them just something you've read on the internet? i'm talking from my experience which is relevant to the thread.
    Grow up
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have had a couple of Brytons (20) and a Garmin (500). I found the Bryton 20 to be ok in generally usage but both units I had displayed exactly the same faults (water ingress, a difficulty in synching with laptop and a tendency to do a reset). I had 2 units because the first went back under a warranty exchange. I didn't bother sending the second one back as I figured that it was time to move on. The Garmin I bought as a replacement has been faultless, in all conditions/weathers. The Garmin screen functionality is much better and truly customisable, whereas the Bryton I had wasn't (more a case of selecting the options already chosen). Battery life is about on a level par.

When it comes to loading to Strava, the Garmin is easier because of the Garmin s/w ability to recognise and scan a device. However, it is relatively easy to upload files from a Bryton, one just has to bounce the file via a client device first. It used to be possible to export from the Bryton site (which also requires a file upload rather than direct device reading) across to Strava but I believe that facility was cut off by Strava.

Like all tech products, forum comments usually reflect the folks that had problems rather than the vast majority of users who didn't. I may have been unlucky with my Bryton experience, others may be unlucky with their Garmin experience.
  • ive upgrade my garmin 800 for an 810 no problems better than I phone imo
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    dcrainmaker has some really in depth reviews of gps

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/wint ... -gps-units
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I will happily do a swap with the OP. My 500 for your 810 if its too much for you.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Got an 810 myself and never had a problem with any of the functions. I'll take it off your hands for a £10 (after all, it's worthless junk to you) and donate it to my son in law who will gladly make use of it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • There is a reason why almost everyone on this and all the other cycling forums is recommending you stick with Garmin, they really are the best. Perhaps the 810 is not for you... sell it and get either an 800 or 500 if you do not want the phone connectivity etc.