Crabon seatposts

jswba
jswba Posts: 491
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
FSA SLK carbon seatpost vs. Deda superzero.
Both around the same price. I have one of those Token pyrotec ones, which is pretty good although the clamp's splines have worn rather badly in the years that I've had it.
Any thoughts folks?

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I think the Canyon VCLS post is excellent. Very good adjustability and seems pretty comfy too. I can't remember the exact price, but i think it'll be in the same ballpark as the FSA and Deda posts you're looking at.
    I think all 3 only come in carbon, no crabon versions :wink:

P.S.
    Incidentally I would not recommend the Canyon VCLS 2.0 seatpost unless you're quite light. It's supremely comfortable but appears to have issues with staying put. Seatpost slippage appears to be common for heavier riders (80kg+), I assume due to some deformation of the split post preventing adequate clamping. The standard VCLS post has no such issues and is a great item IMO.
  • jswba
    Thanks for the recommendation. It's a little out of my price range (120, compared with 70-80 for the Deda/FSA) otherwise it would have been on the list.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I've used an EC90 seat post for years and find it pretty darn good - very light, looks good (especially having a carbon head) and no slippage problems.

Only gripe I have is that due to the design of the head getting the saddle level is a bit of a fag but once done all a-ok.

Perhaps in your price range in the sales?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Are the FSA SLK seatposts carbon or carbon wrap?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The 3T carbon seat posts can be found at very reduced prices if you shop around.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jswba
    Bozman wrote:
    Are the FSA SLK seatposts carbon or carbon wrap?

The website says it's unidirectional carbon. Thanks for the other ideas folks.
  • I caN understand getting crabs off a saddle but what on earth were you doing to get them off a seatpost?
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Don't get one. Get metal.

Get the Thomson Elite.

Or buy three others that cost about £15 each then realize they are all crap and only a Thomson works.
  • jswba
    I caN understand getting crabs off a saddle but what on earth were you doing to get them off a seatpost?

!!! You don't want to know....
  • ai_1
    edited December 2014
    Manc33 wrote:

Get the Thomson Elite.

Or buy three others that cost about £15 each then realize they are all crap and only a Thomson works.
    He's not proposing to buy a knock-off piece of crap as you did which may then likely fail. Contrary to your ill-founded beliefs, carbon is actually a useful material capable of being made into practical and well-performing components.

Any carbon post for £15 would be highly suspect.
    "Only a Thomson works"? Gosh that will come as a surprise to the vast majority of riders as they are in fact getting on just fine with other seatposts.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Manc33 wrote:

Get the Thomson Elite.

Forum bellend strikes again

Matt
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have a VCLS 1 on one bike and a Thomson Masterpiece on the other, both are very good but the VCLS carbon one does seem to be the comfier one IME.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The USE alien one is excellent. Very lightweight. Not sure if its available in 31.6mm though. Google search it but also available at winstanley on sale.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... d_Seatpost
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is there much functional difference between seatposts ?

I had a Thompson which was fine - but my latest bikes have aero posts so its just the frame supplied posts I use.
  • I picked up a FSA SLK seatpost and had no worries for nearly 2 years now. i have a stock bontrager carbon one on my other bike and cant really tell any difference.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • ai_1
    cougie wrote:
    Is there much functional difference between seatposts ?

I had a Thompson which was fine - but my latest bikes have aero posts so its just the frame supplied posts I use.
    I think the most noticeable difference between most seatpost (aside from appearances) is ease of adjustment.
    In the case of comfort posts there should also be a difference in vibration transmitted to the saddle. It's hard to tell how much difference they make in some cases and very obvious in others.
    For example I origianally had a VCLS 2.0 on my Canyon Ultimate CF and the vibration and bump absorption was very obvious. This is about the most extreme of the comfort posts and even settles noticeably when you sit on it. I really liked it except that it could not be clamped sufficiently well to avoid slipping under an 86kg rider. A known problem apparently. So I rode the bike with a carbon wrapped stock seatpost from my old bike for a couple for weeks while Canyon sent me a standard VCLS post to replace the VCLS 2.0. The bike felt different with the basic post but was still pretty comfortable. Then when the VCLS arrived I swapped over to that. The change was much less noticeable than when changing from the VCLS 2.0 but it does seem to provide extra vibration damping. It's very hard to quantify but I'm fairly sure it's more comfortable with the VCLS than the basic post. I haven't switched back and forth to check! It's definitely a great post for ease and range of adjustability.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    philthy3 wrote:
    The 3T carbon seat posts can be found at very reduced prices if you shop around.

Just make sure you buy a genuine one.
  • jswba
    Thanks for all these ideas folks. The only problem I'm seeing is that few of the posts have a 20mm layback, which is what I'm after.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    jswba wrote:
    Thanks for all these ideas folks. The only problem I'm seeing is that few of the posts have a 20mm layback, which is what I'm after.

In that case you may well need a standard VCLS seatpost as it has 35mm setback.

As mentioned above there is a lot of flex in the seatpost and I'm sure it makes a big contribution to the comfort level of my CF SL. After steel, titanium, aluminium and other carbon framed bikes the CF does beat them all for comfort!
  • ai_1
    6wheels wrote:
    jswba wrote:

In that case you may well need a standard VCLS seatpost as it has 35mm setback.

As mentioned above there is a lot of flex in the seatpost and I'm sure it makes a big contribution to the comfort level of my CF SL. After steel, titanium, aluminium and other carbon framed bikes the CF does beat them all for comfort!
    Just to clarify: It's a maximum of 35mm setback. If you want 20mm, you can have 20mm which is approx what mine is set to..
    The saddle clamp can slide forward and back a little on the top of the post allowing a clamp setback anywhere between 15mm and 35mm.
  • jswba
    Cheers. I'll have to see whether they have a sale on, as it's a touch out of my price range at the mo.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I bought an FSA K-Force Light Carbon SetBack Seatpost from Chain Reaction cycles because it was on offer at £57. I see the price is now £86.
    Its 31.6 with 32mm setback.
    I bought it for the Planet X Pro Carbon frame that I had built up.
    It replaced the alloy post that came with my other bike, a Boardman Road Comp.
    It saves about 100g and is a solid looking item.
    I still use the saddle from the Boardman because I find it comfortable and, presumably because that saddle has a soft covering of foam, I can discern no difference between the alloy and carbon posts. It does look nice though.
    I think the most important aspect of a seatpost is having a reliable and infinitely variable tilt mechanism. Both the Boardman alloy and the FSA carbon are twin bolt.
  • jswba
    Thanks, that's very helpful indeed.