Kona Rove

dkoor
dkoor Posts: 28
edited December 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi guys.
I bought this wonderful bicycle a few days ago (2013 Rove) and I find it very much to my liking, it ticks all right (cycling) boxes for me. I haven't really looked for a sport oriented bike as much as I looked for all arounder.
If that wasn't the case, I'd probably go with Jake.
It isn't light bike but still, it rides wonderfully and on straight terrain I doubt it is much slower than my Author A55, light sportivo road bike equipped with Shimano 105 group.
BTW I chose 56cm Rove and I'm 187cm :D , many would say I should go up with the size, but in all honesty I prefer "smaller bike sizes", I feel more confident and comfortable on them in spite of many things I heard and read about the bike fitting.
Q
However, since it is winter time I wanted to install mudguards so I wondered whether you guys had some recommendations for me? I was looking into http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=product&r=mudguards&i=6208801430&BLUEMELS 45mm width (B45). I now have equipped stock 35mm tires, and B45 BLUEMELS mudguards should fit tires 28-38mm.
I am however, unsure whether that mudguard can fit into my Kona Project Two fork.

Any help there?

Should be something like this:
konarove02.jpg

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I would try going to a shop that has some and getting them to offer them up, either that or email the manufacturer. It's be lovely bike but there aren't that many around so I would doubt you'll get many answers on here I'm afraid but hopefully you will.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    There are so many variants of Project2 fork I suspect there isn't a straight answer. My Jake with them on would take full guards, but it was canti not disc brake. That picture looks like the eyelets are halfway up the fork, you would probably have to bend the mudguard stays but it should be possible. As Paul says go to a shop and offer some up.
  • dkoor
    Guys, thanks for answers. 8)
    I'll also check with some shops then and see what answer I get.

High res 2013 Rove:
    http://2k13.konaworld.com/images/bikes/hires/rove.jpg
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    My approach, which has worked on several bikes:
    1. Measure distance between seat stays where mudguard would go, same at fork
    2. Order the widest set of SKS Chromoplastics that fit within both these measurements

In many cases you could probably go narrower, but why bother? On a cross frame with road tyres the mudguard's not going to be especially close to the tyre, so having it a bit wider means it should still catch all the spray. Also means you can generally get away with putting a pair of cross wheels on, if you want to do a bit of light off-road riding. I'm running 45mm mudguards with 25mm tyres on my commuter, and there's plenty of clearance to chuck on a pair of cross wheels with 33mm tyres.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Very much that. Wider guards protect against more dirt and spray. And give you the option of having bigger tyres as needed.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dkoor
    Will consider that. Thanks for the advice! 8)
  • dkoor
    I've looked deeper into this issue and I find that I'd most likely would have to cut fenders in order to fit.
    Kona says that I can fit 700x40c with fenders, but I see no point in installing BLUEMELS that are 42mm in width for such tyre width as they likely wont serve/protect well.
    45mm are acceptable but they certainly wont fit, unless I did my measurements very wrong - which is highly unlikely because my more experienced friend also verified my measurements.

BLUEMELS 45mm will probably go in fork, with maybe only minor adjustments (trimming), seatstays are fine with plenty of clearance, but in between the chainstays is super problematic because an excessive trimming will likely be required.

BTW here's a picture of stock Kona Sutra 2014 fenders (in between the chainstays):

13936367440_96620eaef9_h.jpg

These guard 700x32c stock tires (up to 700x35c max) and are quite narrow.
    http://tomsbiketrip.com/kona-sutra-2014-review/
    ...and a full review of that bike which is similar to my Rove.
  • I am not sure about the measurements of the Rove but I have a Norco Indie drop which seems to be similar in build and design. I had no problems fitting guards to the bike which are wide enough to fit up to 35mm tyres but i have found that there is an issue getting sufficient room under the seatstay bridge now that i have removed the 28mm tyres and fitted some 32mm tyres due to the height of the tyre. There is a need to have room to allow a bit of mud and leaves etc too.
  • dkoor
    Thanks for your input.
    Seemingly easy issue such is fitting mudguards to your bike is everything but easy.

:)
  • that's for sure - good luck! :)