Movistar Special Announcement

2»

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    A couple of steps down and in with the likes of izaguirre, bodnar, frank, dillier. If he is better then apart from one outstanding performance in the 2013 Giro he has under performed.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Joelsim wrote:
    A couple of steps down and in with the likes of izaguirre, bodnar, frank, dillier. If he is better then apart from one outstanding performance in the 2013 Giro he has under performed.

You're missing one vital ingredient here.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    He's a damn good TT rider and has done quite well on the track at times, OK he's not Wiggins or Cancellara but he's up there with the best at the moment. I don't think he would do it if he didn't think he would be able to beat it. He's booked a fair few test sessions as well so he will have had plenty of practice.

So far there are 20 of us from his old club going with more to come. It should be a good night, it's not often an hour record happens on what is pretty much your doorstep (And then two come along at once!)
  • ... annoyingly prohibitively priced... 38 quid for a standard ticket... the record will last 4 months at best, it's not that you go there to see a generation defining moment... he's nowhere near the best guy out there... WTF!!
    I mean, this is supposed to be cycling, a sport for the working class masses... very disappointing... :evil:
    left the forum March 2023
  • joelsim
    Dennis is doing it a couple of weeks before, I don't think Dowsett will beat him. Hope so, but can't see it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited December 2014
    Paul 8v wrote:
    He's a damn good TT rider and has done quite well on the track at times, OK he's not Wiggins or Cancellara but he's up there with the best at the moment. I don't think he would do it if he didn't think he would be able to beat it. He's booked a fair few test sessions as well so he will have had plenty of practice.

So far there are 20 of us from his old club going with more to come. It should be a good night, it's not often an hour record happens on what is pretty much your doorstep (And then two come along at once!)

I hesitate to even call this a theory as it's so obvious, but I think it strikes me that with all of these announcements the press release runs something like...

Team Bike announce that Team Rider Riderson will attempt the hour on Friday 27th of Geldoff*

***AND THIS IS THE BIKE HE WILL DO IT ON!***

Leading me to think that, with the exception of the big 3, this excitement is more about competition between the marketing departments of the bike companies than athletic endeavour. Call me a cynic but...

*#Niche
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    ... annoyingly prohibitively priced... 38 quid for a standard ticket... the record will last 4 months at best, it's not that you go there to see a generation defining moment... he's nowhere near the best guy out there... WTF!!
    I mean, this is supposed to be cycling, a sport for the working class masses... very disappointing... :evil:

Oh do keep up. It's the 21st century. Cycling is the sport for the middle aged dentist :lol:
  • ... annoyingly prohibitively priced... 38 quid for a standard ticket... the record will last 4 months at best, it's not that you go there to see a generation defining moment... he's nowhere near the best guy out there... WTF!!

Oh do keep up. It's the 21st century. Cycling is the sport for the middle aged dentist :lol:

I would pay that money for Wiggins, as he will set a time that will be cast in stone for a while, but Dowsett, if he sets a time, will last a few weeks... waste of money, really
  • joelsim
    It's not the most exciting spectacle. OK a TT with loads of riders, but a million laps round a track by one guy...watched a bit of Jens and a bit of Brandle but got bored.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    ddraver wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

I hesitate to even call this a theory as it's so obvious, but I think it strikes me that with all of these announcements the press release runs something like...

Team Bike announce that Team Rider Riderson will attempt the hour on Friday 27th of Geldoff*

***AND THIS IS THE BIKE HE WILL DO IT ON!***

Leading me to think that, with the exception of the big 3, this excitement is more about competition between the marketing departments of the bike companies than athletic endeavour. Call me a cynic but...

*#Niche

I get that, it's good marketing for the brand, I wonder if they will release any of the bikes as persuit frames afterwards.

I can imagine Dowsett genuinely wants this, sure canyon must be rubbing their hands together but the hour has held a fascination for the Brits for a while.

If you want to see a really expensive event that lasts only half an hour longer take a trip to the Emirates stadium, that'll seem like a bloody bargain! That's after you've paid 10 quid for chips and a coke (Not even joking) If Wiggo was in London it would be well over a hundred quid and half the seats would be reserved for corporate fat cats ;-)
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    ... annoyingly prohibitively priced... 38 quid for a standard ticket... the record will last 4 months at best, it's not that you go there to see a generation defining moment... he's nowhere near the best guy out there... WTF!!

I would pay that money for Wiggins, as he will set a time that will be cast in stone for a while, but Dowsett, if he sets a time, will last a few weeks... waste of money, really

Paid £7 a couple of years back for a grandstand view of Alex riding to a course record in our open 10. Watched him starting as I, ahem, recovered on the opposite verge. He was going like a motorbike 100m of the start. The boy is very quick on the flat and will give the others something to think about.
  • mm1 wrote:
    The boy is very quick on the flat and will give the others something to think about.

I know in the National scene and Commonwealth scenario he stands out, but is he world class? At the Worlds he had 19 guys ahead of him, which would suggest the answer is no.

Do I want to pay 38 quid to see the 20th best time triallist in the world having a go at the hour record, knowing the best in the world will have a go himself 3 months later? Probably not
  • joelsim
    mm1 wrote:
    The boy is very quick on the flat and will give the others something to think about.

I know in the National scene and Commonwealth scenario he stands out, but is he world class? At the Worlds he had 19 guys ahead of him, which would suggest the answer is no.

Do I want to pay 38 quid to see the 20th best time triallist in the world having a go at the hour record, knowing the best in the world will have a go himself 3 months later? Probably not

And that was 20th with no Spartacus, Kwia, Contador, Durbridge, Quinziato, Izagirre, Froome, G, Wilco...
  • The_Boy
    mm1 wrote:

Actually, I'm a lardy arsed cyclo-commuters...oh, hang on.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Joelsim wrote:
    mm1 wrote:

And that was 20th with no Spartacus, Kwia, Contador, Durbridge, Quinziato, Izagirre, Froome, G, Wilco...

If a Movistar rider should have a go at the hour, shouldn't it be Malori? Malori is world class
  • The_Boy
    Does kind of assume that Malori would be interested in it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He's crashed and broken his collarbone, surgery tomorrow. They haven't cancelled yet.

http://movistarteam.com/news/2015-1-14/ ... go-surgery