Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Sportives/audaxes/training rides

Paris Roubaix 2015

cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
I have entered. Anyone else doing it?
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Posts

  • djhermerdjhermer Posts: 328
    I have entered. Anyone else doing it?

    Yes. The one on 11th April. I know there are two events. I'm doing the one on the day before the Pro race with a couple of mates. One who did it last year and can't recommend it highly enough :D

    Oh, and we're doing it on single speeds :shock:
  • djhermer wrote:
    Oh, and we're doing it on single speeds :shock:
    Interestingly the first half, the one that is never televised... saying before Arenberg is not that flat... the pave' secteurs in particular are all up and down... it's only with Arenberg that they become pan flat to the finish. I wouldn't bet on a big gear if you are going single speed.

    I think the secret for a good day is to start first. Last thing you want is to have too many people to overtake... overtaking is risky, especially if the cobbles are wet. Problem with the ASO event is that there are many distances, so even if you start the full course early, you might end up meeting the slow short course riders later on
  • djhermerdjhermer Posts: 328
    djhermer wrote:
    Oh, and we're doing it on single speeds :shock:
    Interestingly the first half, the one that is never televised... saying before Arenberg is not that flat... the pave' secteurs in particular are all up and down... it's only with Arenberg that they become pan flat to the finish. I wouldn't bet on a big gear if you are going single speed.

    I think the secret for a good day is to start first. Last thing you want is to have too many people to overtake... overtaking is risky, especially if the cobbles are wet. Problem with the ASO event is that there are many distances, so even if you start the full course early, you might end up meeting the slow short course riders later on

    There is a theory that single speed will work well across what (on the whole) is a flattish course (2500ft over 106 miles) and particularly on the Pave. I've never ridden it, but one of my co-riders has and is certain a SS will work well. It also massively reduces the mechanical issues which are so common. Riding as a small group it will also ensure no one gets silly and overdoes the speed in a whirl of excitement. As for gearing I'm currently running 50:20 on my SS. I'll see how that goes over the next couple of months.
  • djhermer wrote:
    There is a theory that single speed will work well across what (on the whole) is a flattish course (2500ft over 106 miles) and particularly on the Pave. I've never ridden it, but one of my co-riders has and is certain a SS will work well. It also massively reduces the mechanical issues which are so common. Riding as a small group it will also ensure no one gets silly and overdoes the speed in a whirl of excitement. As for gearing I'm currently running 50:20 on my SS. I'll see how that goes over the next couple of months.

    I am not saying it won't... what I say is that the first half has probably 80% of the vertical gain, so don't go there expecting a big plain because it's not.
    Mechanical issues are not that common and mostly relate to badly built and maintained bikes. We have done the full event twice as a group and never had a mechanical.

    As for pace... cobbles are one of those things were each one has his own pace, some are fast, some are slow... over a long secteur you can easily get dropped by over a minute if you are not good at it. Excitement and a bit of racing on the cobbles are part of the game... going there to take it easy on the cobbles.. well, you might as well not bother... :wink:
  • djhermerdjhermer Posts: 328
    djhermer wrote:
    There is a theory that single speed will work well across what (on the whole) is a flattish course (2500ft over 106 miles) and particularly on the Pave. I've never ridden it, but one of my co-riders has and is certain a SS will work well. It also massively reduces the mechanical issues which are so common. Riding as a small group it will also ensure no one gets silly and overdoes the speed in a whirl of excitement. As for gearing I'm currently running 50:20 on my SS. I'll see how that goes over the next couple of months.

    I am not saying it won't... what I say is that the first half has probably 80% of the vertical gain, so don't go there expecting a big plain because it's not.
    Mechanical issues are not that common and mostly relate to badly built and maintained bikes. We have done the full event twice as a group and never had a mechanical.

    As for pace... cobbles are one of those things were each one has his own pace, some are fast, some are slow... over a long secteur you can easily get dropped by over a minute if you are not good at it. Excitement and a bit of racing on the cobbles are part of the game... going there to take it easy on the cobbles.. well, you might as well not bother... :wink:

    I'm not saying you said it won't :wink: The idea of SS keeping everyone together is aimed at the unpaved sections rather than the pave. As you say, those sections are definitely each man for himself.

    Whilst you're here, would you recommend going tubeless? The idea of lower pressure appeals, but I've yet to experience having to put a tube into one of my Fusions due to a gashed tyre. I have concerns it might be a total ballache (tight rim, pressure etc) and i may be better of with 25 or 28 clinchers at a slightly higher PSI.
  • djhermer wrote:
    Whilst you're here, would you recommend going tubeless? The idea of lower pressure appeals, but I've yet to experience having to put a tube into one of my Fusions due to a gashed tyre. I have concerns it might be a total ballache (tight rim, pressure etc) and i may be better of with 25 or 28 clinchers at a slightly higher PSI.

    I did it tubeless this year, but with cyclocross file thread tyres at 60 PSI... it was a good choice, as it did rain overnight and the cobbles were boggy in the morning.

    I don't see why not... if our tyres are in good nick the chances you will need an inner tube are pretty slim... having friends around, I wouldn't probably even bother to carry a spare TBH.
    It will hurt no matter what tyre pressure or size you use... low pressure will definitively help if the cobbles are damp, as high pressure on wet stones gives you almost zero grip. If the cobbles are dry (saying it's 20 degrees and not a cloud in sight for the week before) then it makes little difference. A good quality tyre makes the difference in terms of speed. Don't ride PR on a cheap Gatorskin or equally horrid tyre... they don't bounce well, they don't go fast... spend some money, get a decent tyre

    When you handle one of those FMB tubulars you realise why PROs want to ride those
  • How did you register for Paris Roubaix? The main site seems to refer you to various tour operators whereas I want to make my own travel and accommodation arrangements. Another site, which looks to be based in Belgium, only seems to allow groups of 10 or more to register.
    Is there another way?
  • paul2718paul2718 Posts: 471
    I'd have thought http://prod.chronorace.be/inscriptions/ ... 2591626869 would work?

    Paul
  • djhermerdjhermer Posts: 328
    paul2718 wrote:

    Yup, that's the place. We're sorting our own logistics too.

    Ugo, what tubeless do you run or should I say did you run for PR?

    What 25mm clincher would you recommend? I hear you on the FMBs but I won't be going tubular.
  • djhermerdjhermer Posts: 328
    djhermer wrote:
    paul2718 wrote:

    Yup, that's the place. We're sorting our own logistics too.

    Ugo, what tubeless do you run or should I say did you run for PR?

    What 25mm clincher would you recommend? I hear you on the FMBs but I won't be going tubular.

    Ignore that, I've just seen your post ref Vittorias on the other post.
  • If you are limited to 25, I would go either for the Vittoria Pave' or maybe a pair of Rubino PRO tech... you can probably run the former a bit lower in PSI, but you won't be able to go a lot lower than 85-90.

    On the other hand a pair of Schwalbe ONE 25 will give you the option to run 70 PSI... not sure how they go on the wet cobbles though... have not had the chance to try them
  • djhermer wrote:
    Whilst you're here, would you recommend going tubeless? The idea of lower pressure appeals, but I've yet to experience having to put a tube into one of my Fusions due to a gashed tyre. I have concerns it might be a total ballache (tight rim, pressure etc) and i may be better of with 25 or 28 clinchers at a slightly higher PSI.
    I'd put the likelyhood of a flat with tubeless even lower than Ugo and rate it as a major mechanical failure. Up there with broken spokes / seatpost / chain and crash damage. If you carry spares for all these then take a spare tube and levers, otherwise trust the tyre and sealant.
    Tyres: Hutchinson Sector 28s or Schwalbe One 28 at 5bar. Sectors aren't as nice as Fusions on decent road surfaces but come into their own on rough stuff.
  • bigmatbigmat Posts: 5,111
    Any suggestions for clincher 28s that would be good for this? Could go tubeless I guess, would it be significantly better?
  • bigmat wrote:
    Any suggestions for clincher 28s that would be good for this? Could go tubeless I guess, would it be significantly better?

    Something decent with a high TPI count... maybe the Pave' or even a pair of Rubino PRO. NO gatorskin...
Sign In or Register to comment.