Lapierre Spicy gearing issues

_Spicy316
_Spicy316 Posts: 5
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

First post, been riding a while but only just started tinkering with setup!

I have just bought a 2010 Lapierre Spicy 316 that has had its setup changed a little and I am having problems with it jumping/missing gears.

Here is the current setup:
SRAM X0 Shifters
PC991 Chain
SRAM X9 Mech
SRAM PG990 Cassette
Shimano SLX 3 speed with middle chainring removed

At the moment, when changing through the gears it jumps on the second and third smallest cassette chainrings and wont stay in gear. After a bit of messing around, I noticed that the shifters only appear to be 8 speed, however I though SRAM only did the X0 in 9 or 10 speed?

Would this account for the gear jumping?

My specialized road bike has a 8 speed cassette, so I swapped the wheel across (which was quite amusing) and it changed up and down the gears pretty smoothly. Could this be a shifter issue?

Sorry if this doesnt make much sense, tried to be as clear as possible!

Thanks...Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    How are you coming to the conclusion that the shifter is 8 speed?

Which x9 rear mech?

Running a 3 ring crankset with the middle ring missing will also cause issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am coming to that conclusion because there are only 7 clicks when changing gears (gear im on then 7 up or down).

Rear mech just says SRAM X9 on it and 1:1 Actuation Ratio. How do I tell what variant it is?

I am looking to add the extra ring to the crankset, it had already been removed.

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    I would say the gears are totaly set up incorrectly.

SRAM came straight out with 9 spd on their triggers.

Slacken it all off and start again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks mate

Will give that a shot
  • I have just had a check of the cassette and found that the 3rd chainring is the wrong size for the cassette. It should be a 14T and is a 13T. Would this be enough to cause the problem?
  • nicklouse
    The 7th cog (1 biggest size 9 smallest) could be 14T or 15T

There are a number of versions.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sounds like there are a few issues. Someone has just thrown on their old spares to sell the bike and kept all the good bits.
  • Which is exactly what I'd do. And what the missus gets, but she has the torque of a mouse so stuff works better for her. Second-hand is a mine field if you don't know your stuff.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Missing middle ring and incompatible components are not a good sign.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    do you need the triple front chain rings as you could swap it for a single narrow/wide single ring and chain device maybe?

I'd be tempted to re do the gear indexing as a start and then take it from there.
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's no need for a chain device with a narrow wide ring.
  • It's a cool thing to say though