Cheap helmet for around £30 max?

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Any recommendations for a road helmet budget is £30.

Size needed is large. 58-61cm

Suppose I should go to halfords so i can try one before buying but they have a very poor range. 8)

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    See what is on sale at wiggle or CRC and pray it fits. Evans is a better place to try on than halfords, they also price match the online boys.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Moonbiker
    Found this

Bell_alchera_blue-white_2013.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bell-alchera-he ... ustReviews

Are cheaper helemets just cheap because they are made heavier & have ugly styling on purpose as all helmets pass they same safety test & are made of the same materials pretty much?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    t4tomo wrote:
    See what is on sale at wiggle or CRC and pray it fits. Evans is a better place to try on than halfords, they also price match the online boys.

This is what I would do , try a few on in a shop that price matches. I did the same and saved about £25, plus I got one I know fits and looks OK.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Just got a Giro Indicator for the lad. Already have one myself for MTB. Halfords had it marked down to £32 from £40, but they also have 20% off helmets and lights atm, so worked out just over £25. If it fits and all that…
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I know this is over your budget, but if you can stretch a bit more this is supposed to be excellent value for money.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-ion-cycle-helmet/
  • I have an old Giro something (possibly indicator) in large size which I no longer use. I think it was a 30-40 quid job when new in 2006. Yours if you can pick it up or I can send it for a fiver or so, although the latter might involve finding a suitable box
    left the forum March 2023
  • Shouldn't we be replacing helmets older than ~4 years, even with no impacts, due to natural deterioration over time ?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well they SAY that - but really ? I replace mine when I want a new flashier one - not due to ageing.
    I can't see that the foam in a helmet would deteriorate with age.
  • Shouldn't we be replacing helmets older than ~4 years, even with no impacts, due to natural deterioration over time ?

Of course the consumeristic part of me would love to believe that and treat itself to a POC Octal helmet, but the reality is that other safety items made of exactly the same polystyrene foam don't have a 4 years shelf life, so it all sounds like BS to be honest
    left the forum March 2023
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Shouldn't we be replacing helmets older than ~4 years, even with no impacts, due to natural deterioration over time ?
    ,,, so it all sounds like BS to be honest
    I agree with the latter.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Nip onto Planet X - I just bought one of their Power Race jobs (black with Italian flag) - wasn't expecting much tbh but very surprised - very light, fits very well, excellent chin strap ratchet mechanism, tightly wheel at the back works cool. One of my better off chance purchases.

Looks pretty darn fine - no mushroom on my head.

Worth a look in the sales as I think they come in just above your budget as is.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    I got the bell alchera one fits ok abit more mushroom headish though compared to the old mtb bell ikon its repalcing I think its partly due to the m/l sizing which is a big headsize range to cover.

The old one had survived yrs of road riding unscathed but them I cracked it from doing a header in a cx race :cry:

It was over 5yrs since I got it though &, I had bought it second hand at a bike jumble sale for £1 so no idea how old it was. But it looked in prefectly good condtion untill I did a header wearing it. :roll:
  • Moonbiker
    Nip onto Planet X - I just bought one of their Power Race jobs (black with Italian flag) - wasn't expecting much tbh but very surprised - very light, fits very well, excellent chin strap ratchet mechanism, tightly wheel at the back works cool. One of my better off chance purchases.

Tempted to get that one also now :roll:

http://www.power-race.it/scheda--Nada_mas.-51.html

Sounds nice
  • How about this

http://www.planetx.co.uk/deals

Areo Ray Helmet HEARARAYH
    Now £4.99
    Whilst stocks last
  • The already-mentioned Giro Indicator is a real bargain (£25) and amazingly weighs only 250g. If you can get a black one the EPS core is black too and looks far less cheap than it is.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,889
    t4tomo wrote:

No praying required, they both have free returns!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    t4tomo wrote:

Why? Apart from selection (which, at the OP's price range probably points to all stockists having the same line in helmets), I'd say that putting a helmet on your head in one shop or another is pretty much the same.

Saying that, the £4.99 job from P/X looks to hit the nail on the economical head.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.