Sportful R&D Long Sleeve Wind Jersey

Sanjay
Sanjay Posts: 108
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Mulling over one of these:

http://road.cc/content/review/137570-sp ... ind-jersey

£98 from Bike Inn seems like a fair price. Just wondering if anyone else had any experience with it? Review seems good and I'm a big fan of the summer Sportful gear I have.

I'm after something to wear over a base layer and under a waterproof when wet, so something that keeps me dry isnt a priority.

Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• That's very good value. Supposed to be very good. Funny it's €152 to Ireland ( £98=€123). It's supposed to be very good. I have the r&d bib tights and they are very good.
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    I use Sportful 'Bodyfit Pro' Jacket and Bib tights and (apart from the daft name) highly recommend them.

http://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sportful-bo ... wgodUpEAGg

Cheers
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • For cold dry days it's really good, the review on Road.cc pretty much nails it!
  • Sanjay
    Great, thanks for the advice. Order placed!
  • Sanjay
    Just had a quick try on of the jersey before it heads under the Christmas tree and seems very well made. Slim fitting with not much room for anything other than a base layer underneath but that is exactly what I was hoping for. The 'Alpha' material seems unique, its fairly thick and almost spongy with the insulation material inside it. Looking forward to getting out for a quick blast with it on Christmas day if I get the time!
  • Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what the temp range (especially min temp) would be for both the jersey and the jacket with just a base layer on underneath?
    I see in the review they used the jersey down to nearly zero which is pretty good for a jersey and base layer.
    How would you choose between this, the light wind jersey and the light WS jacket? They all seem very similar in terms of warmth while the R&D probably doesn't stand up to rain as well.
  • Fiandre stuff stands up better to rain and wind but isn't as insulated, especially the WS jacket. I'd rate them like this...
    R&D Jacket - Very Cold but dry
    R&D Jersey - Cold but dry
    Fiandre Wind Jersey - Cold, mostly dry, may rain
    Fiandre WS - Cold/Cool, pretty much gonna rain/snow

Depends on the baselayer you use too of course, a nice merino one under the R&D and you could probably go ski in it!
  • Sanjay
    Finally got chance to get a ride in with this on. It was about 3 degrees with a bit of wind. Jersery was brilliant. Started off a little chilly but after 4-5 minutes I was toasty but never got too warm with my Gore thermo long sleeved baselayer underneath. I got a little chilly on the descents but it was fine again after getting the pedals spinning afterwards. The fit is great on the bike and doesn't ride up at all. What was most impressive is how well it keeps you warm enough without overheating on climbs and when I put a bit of effort in.

It is definitely not as windproof as my Gore Xenon jacket with the windstopper fabric, but isn't far off, and is far more insulating and warmer because of it. Really good considering how light it is. Can't comment on how it stands up to rain but I would be reaching for my waterproof very quickly based on other feedback and that road.cc review.

Look forward to getting some more rides in and seeing how it fares as the temperature rises (or falls!).
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Darn, I'm tempted.... :?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Sanjay
    I would go for it, I'm glad I did. I'm hoping it will be something I can wear for a good chunk of the year, with different combinations of layers. It certainly deals with the lower end of the temperature range well!
  • luv2ride
    Just went for one of these after catching a real chill on Saturdays and Sundays rides. Yet to arrive but interested to hear how folks might be getting on with theirs? Also, how's the fit? I have a No Rain Fiandre jacket (the older thick version, rather the newer thinner versions) and the medium seems a good fit for me, so hopefully this'll be similar? Fancied a Castelli Alpha jersey but they still seem pricey and picked this up online for £79 so thought it worth a punt...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Luv2ride wrote:
    picked this up online for £79 so thought it worth a punt...

The long sleeve one? Where from?
  • luv2ride
    Yeah, Long sleeve wind jersey from PRoBikeKit, using the "buy two, get 15% off" code. Bought with some Castelli Thermoflex arm warmers that came in for less than £15 quid in the deal!
  • I picked one of these up just after Xmas in the new year sale from evans. I have to say it's one of the best pieces of kit I've bought in all my time riding, right up with my Gabba jersey. I've worn it for every ride so far this year in temperatures from 2 degrees to 10 degrees with just a base layer and been fine. As it has a little bit of insulation it even meant I didn't get too cold changing a puncture one evening. :D
  • luv2ride
    Thanks, that's good to know. I have been a little concerned, also being a Gabba owner, that this might be a little too niche, but it sounds like it'll handle a range of temps. I find my Gabba a little cold below 9-10 degrees. My hope is its a little warmer than my Sportful Fiandre jacket but we'll see - due for delivery on Friday so hope to try it over the weekend (if the cold I picked up during the Newbury CX Sportive last Sunday allows....)
  • luv2ride
    Marko1982 wrote:
    I picked one of these up just after Xmas in the new year sale from evans. I have to say it's one of the best pieces of kit I've bought in all my time riding, right up with my Gabba jersey. I've worn it for every ride so far this year in temperatures from 2 degrees to 10 degrees with just a base layer and been fine. As it has a little bit of insulation it even meant I didn't get too cold changing a puncture one evening. :D

So, the R&D wind jersey arrived today. First impressions are it fits a lot closer than either my medium Gabba, and medium Fiandre No Rain jacket, I'm thinking maybe a bit too tight? How did you guys find the fit? Haven't had chance to try on the bike yet.
  • Sanjay
    Mine is very snug. I can fit a long sleeved base layer underneath but nothing else. No problems with it riding up or anything on the bike though.
  • luv2ride
    Yeah, mine is definitely very snug, as you say no room for anything other than a base layer but the outer shell does seem pretty stretched (although I am at my "winter weight" at the moment). I'm tempted to try the large though. I've contacted PBK about a return because there also are some snags in the outer shell and the insulation material pokes through, so not ideal. Shame as I really fancied using it this weekend :(
  • Yeah I've found that I've had to size up with the sportful r&d range generally, I've got the wind Jersey and their r&d shorts both in xl whereas my Castelli shorts and Gabba are both large.
  • luv2ride
    Thanks for that. Maybe the R&D fit is intended to be more equivalent to the Aero / Bodypaint range in Castelli?

EDIT: Couldn't resist quickly trying on a cheeky 20 miler post-cold recovery ride. 5 degrees but very windy, and I'm guessing windchill. This jersey is really impressive, very warm and although windproof it manages to make it feel as if the air is "circulating" somehow. Best windproof top I've tried, better than a standard soft-shell in dry conditions as more breathable. Fit still felt very snug but like a 2nd skin when on the bike (with a long sleeve winter-weight base layer underneath) - didn't give it second thought when riding so not restrictive, although the outer material isn't really stretchy. Caught sight of myself in the mirror when I got home though, and still contemplating sizing up to the large :oops:
  • Ok decided to get eithe r the Sportful R&D wind jersey or the alpha jersey. Cant decide if it is worth the extra 25 quid for the alpha. Will be riding with it from 7-8 deg upwards until short sleeve jersey temps. I have a light no rain jersey so not worried about the odd shower but cant decide between both. Any recommendations?
  • luv2ride
    Think if you have a Light No Rain jersey already you might be doubling up a little if you go for the Alpha given that also promises some water resistance? That said, the Alpha and the R&D jersey probably in similar temp ranges, but the R&D may be more breathable by all accounts if you're happy to use it on drier but cold rides.
  • Breathability was something I was unsure about but it makes sense the R&D will be better as it doesnt have the rain protection, thanks. As you said I have the rain jersey if there is a chance of rain (it is Ireland after all!!) and I have a short sleeve Gabba for warmer rides. Just have to convince myself that I will make use of the R&D jersey but I hate layering up so I think I will.
  • luv2ride
    Just got my replacement R&D jersey back from PBK, so did 40 miles in it today. Temp was 4-8 degrees, and wore it with a long sleeve compression top. Regulated temperature brilliantly all the way round, including climbs, and descents. Very breathable indeed and warm with the Polartec Alpha insulated lining. I stuck with the Medium size which is very fitted but not restrictive. Great design on pockets (has 3 normal rear pockets and an extra thin elasticated pocket each side which are perfect for gels/bars etc), has a brilliant articulated collar and the waistband is one of the best I've had on a jersey. I think this marvellous bit of kit is going to get a lot of use 8) Recommended...
  • ben-----
    I've just recently bought a small blue Sportful R&D long sleeve wind jersey. It's a fraction on the large side for me. So, on the off chance, is there anyone out there who's in a similar situation but have an XS one and wish they'd got a S one? If it's pretty new (my one's only been worn once at the moment), how about a swap?
  • luv2ride
    ben----- wrote:
    I've just recently bought a small blue Sportful R&D long sleeve wind jersey. It's a fraction on the large side for me. So, on the off chance, is there anyone out there who's in a similar situation but have an XS one and wish they'd got a S one? If it's pretty new (my one's only been worn once at the moment), how about a swap?

Hope you manage to get a swap sorted Ben
    , it's a brilliant piece of kit. Wore mine on the Longleat Lionheart sportive last weekend and saw me ok between 1 degree at the start to 12 degrees at the finish. Wore mine again at 6-8 degrees this morning and perfect. Mine is a very close fit and the arms certainly shouldn't be flappy.

No way you can return and exchange?
  • ben-----
    > No way you can return and exchange?

I got it from Probikekit. They didn't/don't have XS (and I've used it now). Nor do hardly or even anyone else. PBK don't have small anymore in blue now. Seems the smaller the size, the harder it is to get. If I don't get a swap, I won't be that miffed. It's only a fraction too big. It is a good bit of kit definitely. (It's been worn twice now, anyone who's considering swapping! :) )
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    What's the difference between the Fiandre Light Wind Jersey and the R&D Wind Jersey?
  • luv2ride
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    What's the difference between the Fiandre Light Wind Jersey and the R&D Wind Jersey?

The R&D Wind Jersey is made with Polartec Alpha material which is a thin insulating layer which traps air for warmth, but is also very breathable. It has a windproof front, shoulders and upper arms, together with a water resistant DWR finish. This is basically all you need between 1 degree and, say, 12 degrees worn with an appropriate baselayer. My guess is that the Fiandre Light wind jersey is less insulating, but possibly better in prolonged showers. Probably a bit less breathable as well.