650 23c tires

ollienorth
ollienorth Posts: 12
edited December 2014 in Workshop
My other half has the above sized road tires on her road bike, they are slicks and while fine for the summer she is struggling with grip on wet/icy roads. I can't seem to find anything that has some tread on in the same size and can't for the life of me determine what else may be compatible with her rims. Does anyone know what other tire sizes will fit?

Thanks

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    25mm will work. A narrow 28mm may fit if you can find it. The limit is tyre clearance at the frame and brakes.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It is a fallacy that tread offers more 'grip' on a road tyre - it doesn't. There may be other reasons why she is slipping on wet roads, to do with pressure, tyre quality, etc, but nothing will grip on an icy surface - unless you are on proper ice, in which case studded tyres are useful...

Tyre choice is very limited in 650c in any case, although something like a Conti GP4000 would work well, being one of the few decent tyres available in that size...
  • ollienorth wrote:
    My other half has the above sized road tires on her road bike, they are slicks and while fine for the summer she is struggling with grip on wet/icy roads. I can't seem to find anything that has some tread on in the same size and can't for the life of me determine what else may be compatible with her rims. Does anyone know what other tire sizes will fit?

Tread isn't going to be of any use on those types of tyres, indeed it will offer *less* grip with the road surface. What you want is a winter compound tyre, I don't know if GP 4 Season is available in 650 but they are a good winter tyre.

If she can fit 23mm then 25mm should fit, you'd have to check for clearance for 28mm