How much of my bike can I clean in the dishwasher?

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Yeah yeah I know I'm lazy.

I do honestly really enjoy striping my summer bike down, cleaning, regreasing, then getting shipshape for next spring, but I can never get motivated to start.

So can I sling any of it in the dishwasher?
I reckon if I take the top draw out I might even be able to squeeze the forks in. :D

Comments

• RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Are you married / significantly attached? Do you want to stay that way?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    All of it till SWMBO finds out :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • PostieJohn
    RDW wrote:
    What the eye doesn't see ...

... is the start of a phrase I can't remember the end of.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    As a slight aside. Apparently if you have a whole Salmon to cook, a dishwasher is just the machine...without the soap stuff obv.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Yeah yeah I know I'm lazy.

I do honestly really enjoy striping my summer bike down, cleaning, regreasing, then getting shipshape for next spring, but I can never get motivated to start.

So can I sling any of it in the dishwasher?
    I reckon if I take the top draw out I might even be able to squeeze the forks in. :D
    I wouldn't put bearings in but anything else should be ok.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Graham. wrote:
    As a slight aside. Apparently if you have a whole Salmon to cook, a dishwasher is just the machine...without the soap stuff obv.

I love salmon with a hint of chain oil!

In all seriousness, the only thing I would be really worried about (beyond being found out) would be any plastics in deraillieurs etc. - I am sure Shimano/Campagnolo do not design their equipment with the very high temperatures in a dishwasher as a consideration.

If I had the space, I would have an ultrasonic parts cleaner. One day!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    marcusjb wrote:
    ....If I had the space, I would have an ultrasonic parts cleaner. One day!
    I've had one for years.....never used it!
    Salvaged it when it was about to be dumped from work. Good as new.
    Must take it out and play with it one of these days.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Could you get a Brompton in whole?
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Graham. wrote:

Do you have to change the dishwasher salt for rock salt?
  • If your LBS has a half-decent servicing department, they will have a degreaser. Maybe give them a call and ask if you can dump it all in there for a few minutes?
  • Q How much of my bike can I clean in the dishwasher?

A How big it the dishwasher
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    All of it except bearing stuff really. Jockey wheels are fine as the plastic hard and the dishwasher isn't really that hot.

Used the dishwasher to clean motorbike parts and bicycle parts for years. The U.S. military use what is essentially a dishwasher to clean weapons.

Myriad of uses they have.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Really good for cassette cleaning, just zip tie the cassette and hang from the top rack, i'd be scared of the heat affecting things like carbon though (no technical expertise in my head tells me why and am too lazy to google it)
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • PostieJohn
    Really good for cassette cleaning, just zip tie the cassette and hang from the top rack, i'd be scared of the heat affecting things like carbon though (no technical expertise in my head tells me why and am too lazy to google it)
    Yeah my carbon forks and crankset are what's stopping me from really going for it.
  • Dishwasher tablets are caustic and so will attack aluminium / spoil the anodising. Would be OK for the chain and cassette though.
  • It's a seriously silly proposition... get a bucket of warm water and a sponge
    left the forum March 2023
  • I'm sure that'll invalidate the warranty .... ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    PostieJohn wrote:
    RDW wrote:

What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over.

I think that a dishwasher is hard to conceal. Book the OH a weekend away with her girlfriends and start the experiment. Post updates.
    Personally, I am sick fed up of cleaning my bike. I just want to ride it. In years gone by, bikes had sparkly chrome and rims, hubs, cranksets you could shine but now they are dull so I would welcome an innovation in cleaning.
    You'll still have to strip the transmission etc...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    I wouldn't put any bike parts in a dishwasher, except maybe wholly plastic parts, because of galvanic corrosion. Aluminium especially will not fare well with all that electrically conductive water sloshing around. Even stainless steel goes rusty in a dishwasher if it doesn't contain a sufficient percentage of chromium.
  • Stuff probably rusts in a dishwasher because of the salt.
    You should substitute jizer for the dishwasher tablet...what could possibly go wrong!!!
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Q How much of my bike can I clean in the dishwasher?

I was going to say, about 40% but you'll have to leave the door open. Then turn it round and do another 40%. Then clean the middle 20% some other way. Its just typical that's where the chainset is and it won't get included in the dishwasher washes. Yes I am trolling.
  • Matthewfalle
    lapavoni10 wrote:
    Stuff probably rusts in a dishwasher because of the salt.
    You should substitute jizer for the dishwasher tablet...what could possibly go wrong!!!

Jizer is a liquid and therefore you won't be able to get enough in the little compartment to do the job. As we all know the compressed tablet, when dissolved, will provide enough washing detergent to do the job.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

You could always sploshing the Jizer all over the parts when they are in there but generally as its only light oil/grease/muck (we're talking bicycle, not Chally) then then hotness of the dishwasher should be enough.

Either neither, if you slam a tablet in there over one cycle (no pun intended) it shouldn't cause any harm.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • My sister did the salmon . Really does work.
  • Matthewfalle
    My sister did the salmon . Really does work.

Debbie did Dallas. i'm not saying anything more .......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Manc33 wrote:

I was going to say, about 40% but you'll have to leave the door open. Then turn it round and do another 40%. Then clean the middle 20% some other way. Its just typical that's where the chainset is and it won't get included in the dishwasher washes. Yes I am trolling.

Two dishwashers, leave the doors open, put them facing each other and job done.
  • Matthewfalle
    Manc33 wrote:

Two dishwashers, leave the doors open, put them facing each other and job done.
    i

Put loads in the shape of a pentagon and use it to clean your (black) Sabbath ........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • If you really want something to wash your bits in, buy yourself a small ultrasonic cleaner. This looks like a deep fat frier, but anything you put in it will come out cleaner than a very clean thing.

Yours for a hundred quid or so.
  • I'm amazed at what people put in dishwashers. They're an incredibly harsh environment especially if you add the tablets. I'm pretty sure bike part manufacturers don't expect people to dishwash the parts.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    How long would a Chinarello or Rook frame with fake FSA bits last in a dishwasher?

It's a rhetorical question.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    I'm amazed at what people put in dishwashers. They're an incredibly harsh environment especially if you add the tablets. I'm pretty sure bike part manufacturers don't expect people to dishwash the parts.

I'm pretty sure you are correct.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.