Newby wheels question..

richardrenshaw
richardrenshaw Posts: 32
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
As I can't afford the Crank brothers wheels I want, and no other on the shelf wheels seem to fit what I want, I'm considering having some made.. its for a single speed that is just for leisure and fair weather commuting.

I'm looking at Halo Aerotrack rims in white
http://www.halowheels.com/products/part/RMHAT32R

Circus monkey hdw2 hubs in gold
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 55&alt=web

Weight isn't a priority, but both these seem reasonable in terms of weight vs cost. I'd guess about 1700 - 1800g built which Would be fine with me.

They are 19mm wide, would that cause any issues with tyre sizes? I like chunky 28c plus tyres...

Any thoughts or suggestions before I start parting with cash would be most welcome as I just picked based on on appearance really!

Id

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    28c isn't wide - that is narrow! If anything nearly too narrow for a 19mm rim (according to Sheldon brown)

What is your total budget? The hubs look very light, but have never heard of them - and you'd get hit with import taxes at that value too. Are you building yourself?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They're road rims, and combined with 38c could be a post in the wrong section?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which section would you ask about disc hubs in?

Presume this is a Hybrid bike, as 28c isn't chunky by even cyclocross standards.

The hubs are very cheap for the weight and either excellent value or cheap tat, I don't know anything about them though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yea wasn't sure what to class it as, hybrid probably fits the bill! The hubs are made for a mtb which is why I came to the mtb section.

The reason I chose the hubs was because there's limited options for gold disc hubs as far as I can see, was hoping some enterprising people might have imported some and could share their experience.
  • The Rookie
    edited December 2014
    Why gold? I must admit that colours come way done the importance list compared to functional considerations (weight, bearing quality, flange size and location etc) for me.

Various rebranded Novatec suppliers such as Superstar do gold.
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/s ... tain-hubs/

A little heavier than the CM's (still hardly heavy) but a known quantity.

What is your budget? Those rims are a solid choice, reasonably priced but a bit heavy for a fast road hybrid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Won't have a hipster beard, not on a disc braked bike!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    Won't have a hipster beard, not on a braked bike!
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Rookie wrote:
    Won't have a hipster beard, not on a disc braked bike!

Post of the month!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    28mm tyres fit fine on 20mm internal width road rims so the same is true on MTB rims. In fact I put 28mm gatorskins on a 20mm (internal) wide 29er rim and they spread out to 30mm and held on fine at 70 psi.

Circus monkey hubs - what happens when the freehub dies, it will. I doubt you can just get a freehub next day. Many other hubs with U.K distribution that are excellent Hope, DT Swiss, Novatec.......

Velocity Blunt SL rims are pretty good @430g. Did a set for myself recently 28 spoke (I know not sensible but its for me) on Novatec hubs and they are very nice indeed. They have had a good trashing this week and all is well. What was better the tubeless setup sealed easily with a floor pump.

The other rims too look at are those that the road/CX disc crowd use. Velocity Aileron 450g each 30mm deep 25mm wide (20mm internal width) and Pacenti SL25 (435g each) 25mm wide too (26mm deep though). Both are tubeless comptiable as well.

Single speed rigid and a beard, my geared rigid 29er after lap 2 at round 2 of thetford winter series became a single speed as the cassette/inner ring clogged up. Does that count. Made me think what I really need is a rigid single speed.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.