Albums of the year 2014

2»

Comments

• laurentian wrote:
    Indy Cindy - Pixies

I'll cheat - Doolittle 25 - Pixies (25th anniversary expanded edition)

One of the greatest albums ever......
  • Kasabian - 48:13 .... Cracking album ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Once More 'Round The Sun isn't the strongest Mastodon LP by a stretch, but still better than most of what came out this year. They've managed to nail the single thing, but I miss the grander sweep of their earlier albums. Honourable mention to Carcass for Surgical Steel, a comeback that managed to undo the damage of Heartwork, and Electric Wizard's most recent effort, which is all kinds of sludgy goodness.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    pipipi wrote:
    Perturbator "Dangerous Days" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vsf3zYppP4

Normally I'd be voting for ACDC or something similar but this got played on 5Live Film Review (Kermode and Mayo) and it's like an 80s soundtrack to a horror film. Now If you had described it like that I wouldn't have bothered listening but they played it and I was surprised how much I liked it. Slow keyboards with a hint of menace.

Dodgy album cover though!

Quite like that. As you say, very 80s. Album cover ok with me.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I must be getting old. I had a listen to a few of the ones people recommended and they all left me pretty unmoved. Sure, some nice voices but it all seemed rather pretentious and a bit like they were trying hard to be interesting and different.
    I guess I'll have to stick with Radio 2...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Got to be this. Cannot recall them ever producing a duff album and quite impossible to name my top 5 tracks of all time from them as there are simply too many excellent tracks to choose from.

music-acdc-rock-or-bust.jpg

Hmmm, I am a big fan of AD/DC but must say this album is a bit disappointment (few - 3 good tunes here) after Black Ice not even close to (I think best ever) Back in Black.

Rock the Blues Away --> Anything goes alike ?!

Anyway, cant wait to see them live !!!

For me personally its this: The Temperance Movement http://www.mojo4music.com/6960/listen-t ... -movement/

What a band, fresh, punchy and back to the roots
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    laurentian wrote:
    Indy Cindy - Pixies

Can't argue with the Pixies. But if we're doing re-issues, and to counterbalance all that classic rock, then I want a token classical album on the list (like the Mercury Prize):

The Tallis Scholars: Sir John Tavener - Ikon of Light / Funeral Ikos / The Lamb (re-issue of the 1984 album):

http://www.gimell.com/recording-john-ta ... olars.aspx

Here's the spine-tingling final track from the Ikon, Epiphania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXjdH1BIA4Q

Performed live at the Proms this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVZmF_V8U6Y
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pottssteve wrote:
    I must be getting old. I had a listen to a few of the ones people recommended and they all left me pretty unmoved. Sure, some nice voices but it all seemed rather pretentious and a bit like they were trying hard to be interesting and different.
    I guess I'll have to stick with Radio 2...

Nowt wrong with Radio 2. :D
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Beck - Morning Phase
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,397
    laurentian wrote:
    Indy Cindy - Pixies

That was kinda cheating! But nonetheless valid.

In 25 years nothing has come close to that album (or that band) in my opinion. Not even close.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    I love AC/DC but was a bit underwhelmed by Rock or Bust... Ok but a bit "same old, same old" (and very short)... enjoyable nonetheless.

My favourite of the year is Slash and World on Fire.... great for the turbo :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSBJL-Wo9xM

If you want to get up a sweat.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    Got to be this. Cannot recall them ever producing a duff album and quite impossible to name my top 5 tracks of all time from them as there are simply too many excellent tracks to choose from.

music-acdc-rock-or-bust.jpg

Flick of The Switch from 1983 was an absolute stinker so ac/dc have indeed released poor music in their time. 1979 to 1980 the band were at their pinnacle after releasing highway to hell and back in black and i dont think anything since comes close

Its like metallica from kill em all through to and justice for all, thrash magnificence but everything since.......meh ! I think ac/dc calling time with the new album is the right thing to do.
  • RDW
    laurentian wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    Indy Cindy - Pixies

That was kinda cheating! But nonetheless valid.

In 25 years nothing has come close to that album (or that band) in my opinion. Not even close.

Not even Surfer Rosa?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,870
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just listening to Ultraviolence. It's ace!

Pleased you like it!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,870
    pottssteve wrote:
    but it all seemed...like they were trying hard to be interesting and different.

Yeah.

Terrible that.

I don't want them to try to be interesting or different.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    The Lana Del Ray release mentioned above is great.

My favourites this year, in no particular order

The War On Drugs - Lost in the Dream
    Alvaays - Alvaays
    Real Estate - Atlas
    St Paul & The Broken Bones - Half the City
    Allah-Las - Worship the Sun
    Slam - Reverse Proceed
  • exlaser wrote:
    Ac/dc are always good. But my album of the year is " Going Back Home" by wilko johnson and roger daltrey.
    + 1
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    "Stay Gold" - First Aid Kit

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • type:epyt wrote:
    My album of the year by the proverbial country mile is Conversations by Woman's Hour ... Subtle indie electro sitting somewhere between Dubstar and Cocteau Twins ...

https://soundcloud.com/secretlycanadian ... -her-ghost

Love that. Definitely going on my list.

The Holdsteady and Gaslight Albums banged out pretty standard albums. Not a good year really.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • pipipi wrote:
    Perturbator "Dangerous Days" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vsf3zYppP4

Normally I'd be voting for ACDC or something similar but this got played on 5Live Film Review (Kermode and Mayo) and it's like an 80s soundtrack to a horror film. Now If you had described it like that I wouldn't have bothered listening but they played it and I was surprised how much I liked it. Slow keyboards with a hint of menace.

Dodgy album cover though!

You may also enjoy The Protomen (songs based around the game Mega Man, produced by Meat Loaf) and Kavinsky.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Rock or Bust by AC/DC was the winner then?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RDW
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Yes, with a grand total of 3 proper votes and the odd mention, I can now announce that Rock or Bust by AC/DC is the official Bottom Bracket Album of the Year 2014! In your face, St Vincent!
  • Luminous by The Horrors

St Vincent by St Vincent

Rips by Ex Hex

This Is All Yours by Alt J
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    RDW wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Yes, with a grand total of 3 proper votes and the odd mention, I can now announce that Rock or Bust by AC/DC is the official Bottom Bracket Album of the Year 2014! In your face, St Vincent!

Why doesn't it surprise me that a group of people who like changing gear with stretched wire, braking with bits of rubber,and shaving with an old safety razor, would like a band from 40 years ago :wink::wink::D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • VTech wrote:

I'm a massive fan of Sia, stunning voice and love her individualism. Have to try and get hold of this. :D
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    The Black Keys - Turn Blue,couldn't stop listening to this last year when i bought it
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    pastryboy wrote:
    Beck - Morning Phase

Outstanding!
    His best since Sea Change
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    My late nomination is - Grey by Aquavoice
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8