Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting general

As the year nears an end...

chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited December 2014 in Commuting general
how did you all do commuting this year? how many days did you miss/take the car or bus?

If i make it to the end of next week i will have cycled every day i was in the office! It's been a good year!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Posts

  • I've done pretty well, still going. Missed the odd few days when I had a motorbike, so I sold that so I have to cycle!
    We have a green travel policy at work, so the more I cycle, the more £££ I make in vouchers, that a good incentive too.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • i have cycled a lot to work (odd day dropping off and picking up kids aside). i have changed location in the year and now am among a lot more traffic which doesn't agree with me. i am nearing 10000 miles but since breaking my thumb a month ago i am trying to hit this magic figure on the turbo. partly cheating but at least i am doing it.
    i enjoy cycling in the rain or wind, its the combinations that get you down though.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Rodders30 wrote:
    I've done pretty well, still going. Missed the odd few days when I had a motorbike, so I sold that so I have to cycle!
    We have a green travel policy at work, so the more I cycle, the more £££ I make in vouchers, that a good incentive too.

    that sounds good, we get a free breakfast if we cycle 5 days.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • graeme_s-2graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Cycled every day I was in the office, except for 1 day that I ran to work and back. Then yesterday I got the bus for an office xmas party. I'll be getting the bus next Thursday for an xmas party with a different team. So I'll have missed 3 days in total. Two bus trips a year is enough to remind me why I cycle to work every day!
  • graeme_s-2graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Rodders30 wrote:
    We have a green travel policy at work, so the more I cycle, the more £££ I make in vouchers, that a good incentive too.
    Is there any publicly available information about this scheme?
  • CitizenLeeCitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I only started on 27th October and my commute is a very short 2.3 miles.

    Missed about 4 days due to days off, and got the bus yesterday as we had our Xmas meal.

    Clocked up 153.3 miles so far on the new commuter.

    The 10-15 minute ride saves me £5 a day and 40 minutes each way on the bus.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,495
    I never intended to commute by bike everyday - I tend to avoid days when I'm going to get a soaking and when I've got other things to do that would be difficult with the bike - like taking the motorhome for a service or getting back in time to get ready for a TT or going dinghy racing (I could ride, but not with all the sailing kit and I wouldn't make it to the club on time). It's only 10 miles each way, but pretty isolated on a bike - don't see any other riders most days.

    However, I have clocked up just shy of 5k miles this year (total, not just commuting) - I will break my 5k target but not by as much as I would've liked. Perhaps I'll have to check to see how many commutes I did manage by bike!
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    Due to the lack of facilities I've missed a few days when it would be raining hard on the way in, also missed a few days where I had to drive for other reasons such as Drs appointments or sending parcels, otherwise commuted probably 95% of the days in the office other than 2 weeks off after I had Pneumonia back in May.
  • andy9964andy9964 Posts: 930
    Missed two weeks in September due to being in between bikes, and every Sunday night shift (once every three weeks) as it's a longer shift. Other than that, maybe a handful of days missed.
    More than doubled last years tally of 1500 miles, currently at 3100 and a week and a half to go
  • arran77arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Rodders30 wrote:
    I've done pretty well, still going. Missed the odd few days when I had a motorbike, so I sold that so I have to cycle!
    We have a green travel policy at work, so the more I cycle, the more £££ I make in vouchers, that a good incentive too.

    that sounds good, we get a free breakfast if we cycle 5 days.

    They make you cycle 5 days just for one breakfast, I'd be starving :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

    seanoconn
  • Commuted every day apart from holidays and two weeks off after an op. 6300 miles so far this year. I like the ideas above to promote cycling to work, I might see if I can get that here too.
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    arran77 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Rodders30 wrote:
    I've done pretty well, still going. Missed the odd few days when I had a motorbike, so I sold that so I have to cycle!
    We have a green travel policy at work, so the more I cycle, the more £££ I make in vouchers, that a good incentive too.

    that sounds good, we get a free breakfast if we cycle 5 days.

    They make you cycle 5 days just for one breakfast, I'd be starving :lol:

    you want to see what they make us do for lunch!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • gbsahne001gbsahne001 Posts: 1,961
    100% for the days in the office with a target of 12k miles close; probably half of those commuting
  • daddy0daddy0 Posts: 686
    Chris Bass wrote:
    how did you all do commuting this year? how many days did you miss/take the car or bus?

    If i make it to the end of next week i will have cycled every day i was in the office! It's been a good year!

    Chapeau!

    I have had to use the car quite a bit, and there were 3 weeks where I didn't ride at all. :( So far I've covered 12,250km - over 8000km of that was commuting I reckon.
  • redveeredvee Posts: 11,921
    Since I started in my current job on October 2012, I've ridden my bike to/from work every day apart from one day when the lock jammed and I had to get a cab home and my Dad dropped me into work the following day with a huuge set of bolt croppers to 'unlock' my bike.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • InitialisedInitialised Posts: 3,047
    The year has been choppy work wise so I've only managed about 5600 miles this year.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    Rodders30 wrote:
    We have a green travel policy at work, so the more I cycle, the more £££ I make in vouchers, that a good incentive too.
    Is there any publicly available information about this scheme?

    I think its just something our company do. It covers car sharing, trains, buses, cycling & walking.

    I'll try to find out.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • still quite new to commuting but i try riding whenever its dry. its 25 miles one way so i still can't get motivated to ride in the rain for that distance as it takes the enjoyment out of it. i only realy started late in the year when the weather started to turn so i'm looking forward to next year.
Sign In or Register to comment.