Loctite..

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Which version of Loctite do you use? There's seems to be a few variations which, from the descriptions, all seem to do the same thing. After a little root around it looked like it should be Loctite Blue 242 but that seems strangely thin on the ground in this country and prices seemed to vary wildly.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    What do you need it for?

I use Blue 242 for threads and Green for bearings (as recommended by Specialized in my old Demo and SX Trail tech manuals), but being at work with no access to my toolbox I couldn't tell you the number for the Green. 609 maybe? Got them both from eBay and whilst not cheap, it lasts.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    242 or 243 I like 248
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I use Blue 242 for threads and Green for bearings (as recommended by Specialized in my old Demo and SX Trail tech manuals), but being at work with no access to my toolbox I couldn't tell you the number for the Green. 609 maybe? Got them both from eBay and whilst not cheap, it lasts.

Do you use the green on the bearings themselves or to hold bearing cups etc in place? Not used loctite on my bearings but I can see the advantage, especially for press fit bb's.
  • Angus Young
    CitizenLee wrote:
    What do you need it for?

The bolts on my chain ring. I've gone single ring upfront and I snapped a bolt (there was no torque recommendation) so I figure less force and some Loctite is the answer. Yes, it does seem expensive, especially when you consider how cheap their best known product, Super Glue, is.
    nicklouse wrote:
    242 or 243 I like 248

What's the difference?

Thanks for moving the thread - yes, this is a workshop question.
    Antm81 wrote:
    Do you use the green on the bearings themselves or to hold bearing cups etc in place? Not used loctite on my bearings but I can see the advantage, especially for press fit bb's.

I've just changed my BB following a 'how to' in mbr (e*thirteen crank so needed specific bearings) and they recommended using Loctite between cup and frame. They looked to be using the blue stuff. I only had grease so went with that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    242 or 243 I like 248

What's the difference?

Thanks for moving the thread - yes, this is a workshop question.
    google is your friend or just visit their web site.

release strength and application.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Angus Young
    nicklouse wrote:
    google is your friend or just visit their web site.

I did. On both counts.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Generally, you need 2 for bikes:
    Medium-grade retainer like 223 or 242 for screws and fasteners, but not a thread-locker so permits removal.
    Bearing fit like 641 which is semi-permanent is pretty good for stopping creaking bearings.
    Despite the expiry dates printed on the bottle, it lasts a long, long time.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Angus Young
    Thank you.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Antm81 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Just pop a little bit in the bearing recess before pressing them in. Never on the bearing as it might get between the seals.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • nicklouse
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Generally, you need 2 for bikes:
    Medium-grade retainer like 223 or 242 for screws and fasteners, but not a thread-locker so permits removal.
    Bearing fit like 641 which is semi-permanent is pretty good for stopping creaking bearings.
    Despite the expiry dates printed on the bottle, it lasts a long, long time.
    223 is that a typo. did you mean 243?
  • Angus Young
    242 ordered! Thank you folks.
  • nicklouse
    why not 248? It is so much better in all ways.

I guess you did not read the info on their webby.
  • Angus Young
    edited December 2014
    nicklouse wrote:
    why not 248? It is so much better in all ways.

I guess you did not read the info on their webby.

Because I've not seen a stick being used in any of the 'how to's I've seen.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    This has reminded me; I went to an engineering show and got a goodie bag of Loctite stuff from a guy on the Henkel stand. I've left it at work and forgotten about it.

Thanks!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp