3D Printing

pippi_langsamer-2
pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
edited December 2014 in Workshop
I’m probably going to change from Speedplays back to SPDr’s next year, and I’m trying to figure out how to shim my right shoeplate to accommodate for my leg length discrep. I bought the specific Speedplay shims to build-up my right leg.

I’m sure there’s SPDr shims out there, but was wondering how viable it is to have one custom made to my requirements, and 3D printing crossed my mind as a possible manufacturing solution. I can provide CAD template- just wondering how much it would cost, and what the medium properties are like with 3D printing i.e it would have to be a fairly compression-less material similar to hard plastic/ acrylic.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Why 3D printing?
    A shim is a flat piece of plastic.....
    Really shure about SPDr?
  • I could of course just hacksaw a bit of plastic, but Id like something a little "neater".

I've unclipped unintentionally too many times for my liking with the Speedplays- generally when cranking out of corners. Probably says more about my pedalling style than anything, but not 100% confident with them. Having ridden back on standard SPDrs on the winter bike for a few months now, my knees haven't noticed much difference to be honest. I'm starting to wonder whether all the floaty movement in Speedplays is actually counter-effective & results in a) minute power losses, and b) unnecessary strain on other stabilizing muscles/ ligaments in the legs/ knees...?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I'm starting to wonder whether all the floaty movement in Speedplays is actually counter-effective & results in a) minute power losses, and b) unnecessary strain on other stabilizing muscles/ ligaments in the legs/ knees...?

A stable footposition could be better for you....
    Do you notice twisting during the pedalstroke?
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    I could have course just hacksaw a bit of plastic, but Id like something a little "neater".

I've unclipped unintentionally too many times for my liking with the Speedplays- generally when cranking out of corners. Probably says more about my pedalling style than anything, but not 100% confident with them. Having ridden back on standard SPDrs on the winter bike for a few months now, my knees haven't noticed much difference to be honest. I'm starting to wonder whether all the floaty movement in Speedplays is actually counter-effective & results in a) minute power losses, and b) unnecessary strain on other stabilizing muscles/ ligaments in the legs/ knees...?

I had the unclipping issue for a few months...scary stuff. As a result I went back to Shimano but found them a PITA and foot pain came back. Anyway the point I actually wanted to make was I went back to speedplay but allowed a little more float on the pedals so when my foot was moving around it wasn't at the limit before the point of clipping out. Ive not had an issue with unclipping since and I don't notice the additional float...its not excessive anyway. Its a shame that removing most of the float on the speedplays means you risk unclipping though I guess it depends on the riders own pedalling technique as to whether they would accidentally unclip.

I would think any power loss with speedplays is almost non existent - its certainly not been noticeable to me when Ive moved between different pedals types in the past but thats only by feel and the power meter numbers...which I don't follow down to the exact watt! No idea on the additional stress on joints but for me Speedplays have really helped with reducing foot pain.

Give I-ride a call regarding shims for that type of pedal which Im not family with, is it the MTB type? I-ride are now the distributor for BikeFit wedging & shims
  • My feet definitely "float", naturally during pedal stroke, but I not sure it necessitates the excessive float offered by Speedplays. As I say, oddly enough my winter bike has SPDr's and I'm not noticing any knee issues and this is of course on a bike which is doing higher mileage.

These are the single sided SPDrs were talking about here- a la Dura Ace/ Ultegra...