What torque for shifter on carbon bars?

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

Sram Force shifter has come slightly loose, what torque do i need to tighten it back up to on carbon bars?

Cheers

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Tight enough so it doesn't move...
  • my point being i don't want to over tighten and crack the bars, 6nm enough?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    General tightening torque for most carbon bars is 4-5Nm - for shifters you just need enough to stop them moving
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    my point being i don't want to over tighten and crack the bars, 6nm enough?

Step away from the torque wrench and just pinch the bolts up with an allen key until the shifters can't be moved with your hand...
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    ^ This.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    there quite big bolts are they not - Id say 5nm should do it but 6nm would probably be okay but unnecessary. I actually do it by feel and never had an issue. Just don't crank down on the allen key and don't use an oversized allen key or big wrench where you can't gauge the resistance. However if you're not comfortable with that use a torque wrench and email the manufacturer.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    cswitch wrote:
    there quite big bolts are they not - Id say 5nm should do it but 6nm would probably be okay but unnecessary. I actually do it by feel and never had an issue. Just don't crank down on the allen key and don't use an oversized allen key or big wrench where you can't gauge the resistance. However if you're not comfortable with that use a torque wrench and email the manufacturer.

I would say that 5Nm is too much force to fit shifters on carbon bars. You may get away with it, but it's not worth the risk.