Is it me or the wrong size - Jagwire Liner

Lumpy Roads
Lumpy Roads Posts: 91
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

I would appreciate any advice. I have decided to replace my cables completely for my 3 yr old, 105 fitted, Merida.

I have bought the jag wire, road elite sealed brake kit, no size options available. I read the instructions, watched the youtube video and set about it.

Choosing to do the front brake as the easiest option first. I cut the outer cable, inserted the liner and fitted the end caps. I then tried to feed the liner through the adjustable brake housing, it won't go through, there is no blockage, I think the bore of the housing is too small for the cable liner, is this common, or am I doing something wrong.

Frustrated. I decided to go without the liner, from the point where it exits the cable outer, so I snipped off to length, knowing I could never go back. Only to be faced with the problem that the alloy end caps will not fit into the housing either. Have I got an unusually small housing on my shimano 105 brakes or am I missing something.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Steve

Comments

• What is 'liner'?!!!

Then end caps come in different sizes. Usually 4 or 5 mm. You probably have the 4mm cap
    Av
  • Hi Av,

The liner fits inside the cable outers. The cable inners (the wire bit), then sits inside the liner. You are meant to be able to then seal the liner, allowing the inner to move in and out, but preventing crud or water from getting into the system.
  • i've been here before and it took me a while to realise there are 4mm and 5mm parts so you just need to make sure you are using the correct thickness cable for the correct part. frustrating i know. but every day is a learning day :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Choosing to do the front brake as the easiest option first. I cut the outer cable, inserted the liner and fitted the end caps. I then tried to feed the liner through the adjustable brake housing, it won't go through, there is no blockage, I think the bore of the housing is too small for the cable liner, is this common, or am I doing something wrong.

Frustrated. I decided to go without the liner, from the point where it exits the cable outer, so I snipped off to length, knowing I could never go back. Only to be faced with the problem that the alloy end caps will not fit into the housing either. Have I got an unusually small housing on my shimano 105 brakes or am I missing something.
    Steve

Steve,
    The outer brake cable fits directly into the cable adjusting bolt unit on the caliper arm without a ferrule, my Ultegra 6700 caliper is the same. As for the inner liner not fitting through the cable adjusting bolt unit, you are probably correct in that the inner dia. of the liner is bigger than the outer dia. of the bore in the cable adjusting unit. You would need to open the bore up with a suitable sized drill bit if you wanted use the liner up to the cable fixing bolt/clamp.
  • Hi DJ and Mac thank you both for your help.

It is something to beware of, the Wiggle Listing and Jagwire information indicate that the sealed system is suitable for all shimano brakes. I fitted it the way you suggest DJ, cutting the inner liner off where it exits the cable outer and not using the ferrule/end cap. That effectively stops the system from being sealed, which was why I bought this system in the first place.

Fortunately for me: 3 cheers for Wiggle, I contacted their customer service and explained that the kit did not do what it said on their listing or the packet. They say they are going to refund the cost of the kit. Well done them! or it will be when I get my dosh back.

For anyone thinking of upgrading to the Jagwire sealed brake kit, I recommend they check their existing cables. The Jagwire one is 5mm, my existing cable was 4mm.