26er, low-travel FS frames.

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
been toying with the idea of building up a budget full-susser for a while now.

Ideally want to use as many parts from my current hardtail as possible, (including my 110m/140mm Revelations) and just pick up a secondhand (or old stock) frame.

I'm looking for something for XC and trail use, mainly, so thinking somewhere in the region of 100mm to 120mm rear travel (to use with whichever fork travel option suits it better).

Any thoughts on good 26" frames from a couple of years ago that I should keep my eyes open for on ebay and the classifieds?

cheers,
Jim

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are a few Spesh Epic frames on ebay right now, got good reviews
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -07-21293/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hon-12370/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -09-32537/
    They use a 100mm fork as standard but would cope with your Revs set to 120mm at longest travel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Might be better off with a Camber as then you won't have to deal with the Brain Shock and all the headaches that will bring. You don't state budget but here's one...

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1691192/

It's also listed on eBay.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    26" Trance frame?

Little more travel at the rear at 5" but will take your revs at the full 140 and shouldn't be too bad at 110 either being 120mm originally.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Going back to the spesh, I've always fancied building up a fsr xc with a 120mm fork to replace my old one that was stolen. I loved that bike and would happily have another.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The later brain (2007 seems when they got it right) is good once set up, but it does need setting up or it's either too harsh or too mushy, just read those reviews.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant Trance would be my choice. Brilliant bike, best all rounder I have owned.
    Your Revelation would be a perfect match, the frame works well as a pure xc bike with a 110/120mm fork and makes a great trail bike with a 140mm fork.
    They're a safe used buy as they are absolutely bombproof frames.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The Rookie wrote:
    The later brain (2007 seems when they got it right) is good once set up, but it does need setting up or it's either too harsh or too mushy, just read those reviews.

Too much effort for too little gain, especially on a used bike when older proprietary parts can be expensive or hard to come by. Camber or Stumpy all the way if going short travel FSR.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Thanks for all the input so far, boys - lots there to think about.

No mention of the Anthem yet - what was that like in 26er guise?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's very good. You might want a lighter fork to get the most out of it though. I had a 120mm Reba on mine.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I still like my 2007 SC superlight, and especially now it has 120mm up front.

Seems to like going up and down and has just enough travel to let it flow but also give feedback and prevent going faster than my skill level :lol: