Help with SPD pedals

mabbo
mabbo Posts: 117
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Guys,bit of an odd problem. Using a pair of Shimano SPD's, two bolt metal clip type.No idea why but one of the bolts holding the cleat to the shoe has sheared.So Cannot get the shoe off the pedal, as any turning results in the shoe spinning on the one remaing screw. Now supposing I manage to get the shoe off,(Maybe by hacksawing through the remaining bolt), has anyone got any idea how to get the cleat out? :?:

Comments

• You can get the cleat out of the pedal fairly easily but just prising it open with a screwdriver. I had to do it a couple of weeks ago after losing a bolt mid ride.
  • You should be able to access the cleat rrom inside the shoe. Push a screwdriver on the hole from the top to stop it twisting.
  • mabbo
    Thanks for the advice so far. I'll give both options a try.
  • mabbo
    Dippydog3, not sure now this will work, as the remaining bit of the bolt is still in the shoe. Not enough showing though to grip with pliers to unscrew.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The cleat will open if you get a screwdriver in there and lever the shoe off. The cleat is held in by a spring loaded clip and enough upwards force will open this clip.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • mabbo wrote:
    Dippydog3, not sure now this will work, as the remaining bit of the bolt is still in the shoe. Not enough showing though to grip with pliers to unscrew.
    Sorry, didnt realise that. Its the screwdriver from underneath then.
  • Whip the pedal off first.
  • Whip the pedal off first.

No don't. It's much easier to get a screwdriver in there and just pop the mechanism open if the pedal is still and, unless you clamp it in a vice when you get it off the bike, that's much easier to do whilst it's still on the crank!*

*yes, I've had the same issue!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris