SLX Cranks

ih007
ih007 Posts: 67
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ordered an SLX group set a month or so back from chain reaction and have just started to fit it. The cranks didn't come with the end cap for the non-drive crank arm, or any washers/spacers. Looking at the tech docs I need these, right? Should they have come with the group set?

Comments

• These class as part of the bottom bracket rather than the crank.

Did you get a BB with the groupset? If so they should be included.

I just bought an SLX triple with BB and those parts were in with the bottom bracket.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MTB cranks come with the BB included,

you should have the bearing preload bolt and 3 BB spacing washers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You should have three spacer rings to set the bearing width to the correct 75.5mm (base to base) and the 'end cap' is critical as it's used to set the preload on the bearings, if you have a 73mm frame and a chain device/mech mounted via the BB you don't need them, otherwise you most certainly do.

The should come with the Groupo, the spacers may not be there is they are OE supplied parts (meant to be installed on a complete bike for sale) if it didn't need them, but the preload cap is always needed, get onto CRC ASAFP.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ih007
    Cheers guys, the BB came with the group set yes. I had a peek in the packaging of it this morning but didn't see it, but I didn't look properly as I wasn't expecting to find it in there. I'll empty out the lot later and have a look, and get onto them if its awol.
  • ih007
    Sitrep: had a proper look in the bottom bracket packaging and the spacers were in there, the pre load bolt (as I now know its called!) was also tucked away inside. Thanks for the pointers!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Worth having a look at the setup manual on the Shimano techdocs website as you are a little unfamiliar.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.