Boardman Team650B Avid Elixir3 or DB3

bruce225
bruce225 Posts: 129
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Went to pick up my bike today from Halfords and though it couldn't collect if for voucher reasons

The guy commented at Halfords that it had Avid DB3 on.

But the spec lists Avid Elixir3, now I can't claim to know the difference or which is better but cost wise seems to me the Elixir3's are more expensive, so feel like I'm getting short changed by Boardman bikes.

But I also found this on a search.

http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain-bike-kit-equipment/avid-db3-t5944.html

What do people think before I collect tomorrow.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spec changes. DB3 are the newer model/name.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bruce225
    OK Thanks

Just didn't want to be getting ripped off seeing the Avid website still shows both but the retail value on the Elixir's are much more.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Elixirs are terrible. Not sure about DB3 but they can't be as bad.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd say they can be as bad, worse would require significant effort from SRAM who after all their brake issues are surely now actually trying to make them better!

I notice a recent rash of new bikes with SRAM drivetrain and Shimano brakes, manufacturers must be wising up to how many are put off by Avid's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bruce225
    Think when I pick it up tonight will take the spec list just to make sure nothing else has changed spec wise.

Just normally never bother checking over spec just pick up and go and trust them.

Cheers
  • cooldad
    Generally a disclaimer somewhere that spec can change. So unless you picked a specific bike off the shopfloor, and they changed something afterwards, not much you can do.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bruce225
    cooldad wrote:
    Generally a disclaimer somewhere that spec can change. So unless you picked a specific bike off the shopfloor, and they changed something afterwards, not much you can do.

Yeah but if it's lower in spec I can ask for a bit of discount or a freebie...
  • cooldad
    Not if you are picking it up in store. You see the product, you pay, you take it way.
    Don't want it, don't pay.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bruce225
    Yep that's my other option but generally found people will knock a bit off rather than loose the sale, but only tonight will tell...