So, which half of the population

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited December 2014 in The bottom bracket
Do you fall into?

The one which take prescription medicine on a daily basis, or the half that don't.

Being as we're all supposed to be reasonably fit bunch on here I wondered if we reflected the general population in this regard.

Myself I do take prescription drugs on a daily basis.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    I have an aversion to drugs of any sort and detest going to the vets or hospital
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    I don't, at least not at the moment. Who knows what the future holds.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    The half that does!

One pill to make my pancreas work and daily injections of insulin to make up for a pancreas that doesn't work :roll:

But I did leave the UK so that I could be less of a burden to your health service :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    I am in the wrong half*. :oops:

A meaningless dose for blood pressure that does little (AFAIK) but the wife being a nurse keeps the pressure on.
    I would take myself off otherwise.
    On the other hand, she does see the need to exercise to maintain my health so I have a free pass to cycle. :P

*In both senses. Isn't the report about women?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    I am in the wrong half*. :oops:

A meaningless dose for blood pressure that does little (AFAIK) but the wife being a nurse keeps the pressure on.
    I would take myself off otherwise.
    On the other hand, she does see the need to exercise to maintain my health so I have a free pass to cycle. :P

*In both senses. Isn't the report about women?
    No it's not about women, but all the population.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,492
    Nope, unless you count alcohol, caffeine and adrenaline.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    None for me but the missus has asthma so she's on 3 types of inhailer. if she didn't take them, she'd be dead!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,868
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Nope, unless you count alcohol, caffeine and adrenaline.

Lots of the first and last one
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    I don't yet... unless you count beer and coffee, I don't even like to take paracetamol for a headache
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I only take proscribed drugs.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Take stuff on a daily basis. :cry: But on the upside, I don't pay prescription charges. :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Nothing except espresso and salami. The occasional Lemsip if I have man flu but nothing else really.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im now on the half that does (blood pressure) but hopefully off soon.
    Living MY dream.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Blimey - loads of us that do ....

I'm another one ... now for more than 1/2 my life and will have to do so for the rest of my life - fortunately it's only a couple of little pills, but a PITA that I can only easily get monthly prescriptions when I'm only tested annually.

Still - prescriptions are free - which would be a huge advantage if I ever took anything else - don't think I have though ....
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Consider myself fortunate that I don't have to take anything. My parents were severely asthmatic, as are 6 of their 8 children and all of them are on medication of some sort! I'm 53 now and watch my weight, pay close attention to my nutrition and exercise as much as I can, so hope to keep the meds at bay for a while longer!!
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I'm on a daily tablet for high blood pressure.

It used to be two, but one day I decided that I wasn't going to take two tablets any more (one type makes you pee, a LOT) and bought a bike to offset it with exercise.

Even under prescription meds, I consider myself a lot fitter than a lot of people who aren't on them.

The older I get, the better I was.

• May wife does and I don't so we must be a boring average household.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    'fraid that after nearly fifty years of troubling the NHS about once a decade I've been diagnosed with (very) high blood pressure - so 3 pills a day for me now. Annoying to say the least, and what's worse is that a combination of circumstances (job etc) and side effects of the meds means that I'm getting less exercise and putting on weight. I may have to get a turbo...
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,386
    One a day to keep the gout at bay!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Slowmart wrote:
    I have an aversion to drugs of any sort and detest going to the vets or hospital

So which of those do you visit for yourself, Vets or Hospital? :wink:
  • I have a prescription drug that I carry around with me everywhere but I don't take it. It is a drug to take in case of an attack of this medical condition but I am managing that condition through diet and plain luck. However I do have to go and visit the doctor every 2 years or more when the expiry date on these drugs has passed or I have used them. That means I am one of the 43% of men on prescription drugs about once a year or once every 2 years if that makes sense. Although I did once get a prescription for half dose beta blockers which I would have had to take every day. I chose not to since my condition was borderline whether to take them (the consultant gave me the choice and wouldn't give me any clue or advice on whether to go for it). I also read a lot on the side effects and whilst for heart conditions where the danger is great I can see their benefit for my condition the risks of going without were a lot lower consequence than actually taking them. I ended up taking the drugs to a pharmacist for disposal (like you should do for all expired prescription drugs BTW).

I am on over the counter stuff every man flu, hayfever time and when I need paracetemol or Ibuprofen for various aches and pains. I don't think they were counted.

BTW the figure is 43% of men on prescription drugs but 50% of women. Historically women tend to be on drugs more than men. This issue is only down to the more recent NICE advice over the prescribing of Statins and other classes of drugs that had a lower threshold for prescribing as the research was done. This increase is down to these drugs being proven to be safer than originally thought, they have more information on things like treatment doses and side effects / higher risk users and the actual effect of them. That tends to be why GPs prescribe statins like candy for people in certain risk categories. I think it is a case of medicating for poor lifestyle too in a lot of cases. I know people on drugs for high cholesterol who see it going down so start eating like they used to. Cue increases in cholesterol and in the doses they take. Not the same for all statins users.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I don't. You have to go to doctors surgeries to get those. They are filled with people that are ill so god knows what you might catch there. I don't understand how the staff survive. You are best off keeping away.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    lesfirth wrote:
    I don't. You have to go to doctors surgeries to get those. They are filled with people that are ill so god knows what you might catch there. I don't understand how the staff survive. You are best off keeping away.

If it's a life long illness then you only have to go infrequently - can't remember the last time I saw the doc about mine - although I do talk to them over the phone once a year.
    Of course, I do have to go to the pharmacy ... but I cycle there - all sweaty and dressed in lycra - nobody comes close! :)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'm in the half that do but hopefully this time next week I'll be in the half that doesn't :D
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Thankfully nothing for me. An occasional Nurofen for a toothache or injury but otherwise completely unmedicated, prescription or otherwise.
  • lesfirth
    Apparently the most prescribed drug is statins to reduce the chance of heart problems. The claim is that the NHS will save money with this preventative medicine. I do not see their logic. If the ailment that would have killed you is prevented, the NHS will save the cost of treating you. Agreed.
    However we all die of something eventually and having avoided the first ailment that would have killed you, at some point in time you will get the ailment that is terminal. The NHS will then have the cost of treating you for this ailment that if you had died of the first they would not have. As I see it there is no saving at all . I am all for the benefits of preventative medicine and us all living longer but I cant see a cost saving.

The same logic is used with smokers. The claim is that smoking costs the NHS but if you die early from a smoking related illness it costs the NHS at this point but they save by not having to treat you later in life. The state then does not have to pay their state pension in the intervening year and we benefit from the tobacco taxes. Us none smokers are on a winner!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    lesfirth wrote:
    Apparently the most prescribed drug is statins to reduce the chance of heart problems. The claim is that the NHS will save money with this preventative medicine. I do not see their logic. If the ailment that would have killed you is prevented, the NHS will save the cost of treating you. Agreed.
    However we all die of something eventually and having avoided the first ailment that would have killed you, at some point in time you will get the ailment that is terminal. The NHS will then have the cost of treating you for this ailment that if you had died of the first they would not have. As I see it there is no saving at all . I am all for the benefits of preventative medicine and us all living longer but I cant see a cost saving.
    Good idea. Let's extend it.
    Why do we bother vaccinating babies?
    Let the weak die young and save the NHS money further down the line.
    It would save on education costs too.
    :roll: Very much :roll:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lesfirth
    PBlakeney wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    Good idea. Let's extend it.
    Why do we bother vaccinating babies?
    Let the weak die young and save the NHS money further down the line.
    It would save on education costs too.
    :roll: Very much :roll:

We are in bottom bracket here.posting.php?mode=quote&f=30005&p=19309630#
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Nothing stronger than Alcohol, Caffeine, and the occasional Nurofen here.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I went to the doctor's this year for the first time in a decade. Had to wait 2 weeks to get registered too.

I do however, take a rennie every now and then.