11 speed cassette on 10 speed hub

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited December 2014 in Workshop
I know it won't fit, XTR, aside. There are mutterings about removing 1 sprocket. Does it work?
Got several nice sets of wheels which can't easily be converted without swapping hubs but I want to swap to hydraulic disc brakes (from cable). This means 11 speeds only.
As most big sprockets come on a carrier swapping those isn't an option. Other wise I would just lose the biggest. I could live without an 11t if that's an options.
Suggestions?
SRAM 10 speed hydraulics disappeared after the recall.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    How about using 11 speed spacers with a 10 speed cassette (obviously you'd need one made up of individual sprockets). There'd be a spacer needed in there somewhere but it might work. Not completely sure this achieves anything over losing one sprocket off an 11 though......

Doable in Campag I guess but you'd need to fit Campag freehubs which isn't going to be cheap!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I too would also like to know if this works. This link might help http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 4&t=119299
  • If you have access to machine shop, you could try putting a 1.5mm counterbore in the back of the carrier for the biggest sprockets. Or machine back the free hub body if you can get it off.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    *ah. Machining may be an option.
    Thing is 11 speed cassettes tend to be high quality so tend to have built in carriers.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Somewhere on weight weenies there is a post from a guy who machined a 10sp DA f/h and the 11sp cassette to get 11sp road onto a 10sp shimano hub.
    But read this article.... which will provide you with a solution.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/ ... now_228686
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    The Weight Weenies guy who did the machining later found out that it wasn't a great idea, because the machined freehub bodies began to fail.

Why not just change the freehub? Unless they're Zipps, it's usually no more than £40-70 for the FH body, and a three-minute job.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    mattsccm wrote:
    *ah. Machining may be an option.
    Thing is 11 speed cassettes tend to be high quality so tend to have built in carriers.

Machining an alloy carrier is even easyer.
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Shimano-Ultegra- ... 2eda330a3a
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    If you machine the freehub or the cassette carrier isn't is possible that the chain will hit the spokes when in the largest cog ? or i am way off?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Yes that's possible. Adjust carefully.....
  • I have machined an Ultegra 11 speed cassette and fitted it to a 10 speed Swiss DT (deep section carbon) wheel and run it in my Di2 equipped Dogma and it worked without any adjustments

I made a jig to hold the last 3 or 4 cogs so it is possible to do in a standard lathe

PM me if you want me to machine one for you