rotor bolts

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Will be getting new hubs next week so will be switching rotors over. I know you should use threadlock, which type as there is a range of options?

Also is it good practice to get new bolts for a new hub? I'm guessing that given they are only a few quid it's not the worst idea in the world but maybe not necessary. If so, any to go for/avoid? I won't be spending £20 on Ti ones!

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Most come with blue threadlock as standard I believe.

I got my ti ones for 50p each, so 6 quid in total, and they're now on their 4th wheelset and third bike along with all my other ti bolts and other random bits of ti :)

Happy to send you the standard ones if you want? Pretty sure I have 12 unused in my toolbox, or at least 6.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any medium threadlock. ie 248.

no need to replace.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ferrals
    Where did you get the Ti ones for 50p each? the hope ones I saw on CRC were £18 for 6!! I'd be tempted to get Ti at that price - no rusting :-) - oterwise I'll just re-use mine
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Ferrals wrote:
    Where did you get the Ti ones for 50p each? the hope ones I saw on CRC were £18 for 6!! I'd be tempted to get Ti at that price - no rusting :-) - oterwise I'll just re-use mine

You can find them cheap on eBay if you don't mind buying from Hong Kong, or for a little bit more if you want them from UK. Still cheaper than CRC :)

No rusting is the reason I like them, as opposed to any marginal weight savings.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Ferrals
    Yeah my thoughts too - i really need to get Ti caliper fixing bolts too as the rear set are super rusty (i only have one drying towel and its oily so i am wary of touching break related bits with it!)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I run 3 alu and 3 ti in each wheel. Lighter than ti, no rust and pretty colours! Did have 6 alu in each, when I was using purpose designed Ashima rotor bolts, bit soft though.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    njee20 wrote:
    I run 3 alu and 3 ti in each wheel. Lighter than ti, no rust and pretty colours! Did have 6 alu in each, when I was using purpose designed Ashima rotor bolts, bit soft though.

I had a workmate who was a totally weight obsessive motorbike racer - machined himself a lovely pair of aluminium alloy brake caliper bolts. First race, gets a flyer off the grid, first corner brakes hard, bolts snap, crashes and breaks collarbone - if there's one material not suited to safety-critical parts it's aluminium alloy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • njee20
    Yep, well aware of the limitations.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many racers just run three ti bolts.

Of course the disc mounting is totally different to your calliper bolt, the disc bolts compress the disc to the hub and the friction stops it moving anywhere so as long as the Al bolts provide the same tension they work just as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Front calliper bolts are similar - the forces are pushing the calliper into the fork, and indeed the leading bolt on a rear post mount brake.

I wouldn't go as far as 'many' racers running three. One or two do certainly, but most don't really care about weight as much as you'd expect!