or do I shell out for a gamin ?

many thanks for any advice links

Daz
Specialized Epic Expert
Giant Propel Adavnced 0 - Custom Build

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Not had any direct experience of mounting an iPhone 6 but a quick look at my Samsung Galaxy S3 suggests that I would be a bit reluctant to trust any mount for an item that size clamped to my bars or stem.

Additionally you have the added concerns about weather-proofing and battery life if you want to use the iPhone for routing purposes on a longish ride.

Garmin or similar every time for me
  • £15 sigma wired computer on stem ... Phone in pocket recording whatever you wanted it to do ...

Or buy a Garmin. You don't want £800 worth of phone going 'pop' on a pothole or even worse on an off. Plus it'd look like a solar panel on the bike.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can get something like this for it - http://www.ubyk.co.uk/quadlock-iphone-6 ... oCoZrw_wcB

But what do you need it for ? I was happy with a phone in my pocket (in a ziploc) recording my GPS data. I don't really need to see it as I ride.

When battery life was starting to become an issue - I bit the bullet and got a garmin for the bars.
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    go for a dedicated device - Garmin
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My son's determined to use his Galaxy S5 for navigating routes created in Strava, so wants a bar mounted option. We've bought him a case / mount from Amazon for christmas. I think it will look like a tea tray though.

Expensive for a plastic case and a clunky mount

Google Ultimateaddons.
  • There are plenty of well-reviewed option http://goo.gl/hFSbo7.
    However, as others had said before, I wouldn't put my L800 phone on my handlebars. Additionally, using your phone as a GPS tracker will drain your battery very fast. I would go for the garmin no questions asked.
    Now, if you don't want to buy a dedicated GPS unit, look into something like this http://goo.gl/BMHDvF. You'll have your phone secure in your pocket and still be able to see the data on your handlebar. But given that a garmin 200 is basically the same price, I would, again, go for the garmin just for the battery issue.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Might improve your average speed with a tail wind.

Wont help with a headwind however.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The thing arrived yesterday. Bar mounted tea-tray is a pretty accurate description.

Reckon he'll be wanting a Garmin for his birthday!
  • I've often thought about mounting my phone on the stem - iPhone 4S and now iPhone 6, while I'm sure it would work the issue is that if you have the screen on all the time you're only going to get say 2 hours before you're struggling for battery. It's fine when it's just using Strava in my back pocket.
  • shove it in your pocket. Unless you want to go for the Chris Froome riding style...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    type:epyt wrote:
    £15 sigma wired computer on stem ... Phone in pocket recording whatever you wanted it to do ...

Or buy a Garmin. You don't want £800 worth of phone going 'pop' on a pothole or even worse on an off. Plus it'd look like a solar panel on the bike.

This is the most sensible approach or just buy a garmin.
  • There are reasons to have the phone on your bars, if you don't want to fork out for a Garmin and want to see your heart rate and speed/cadence for example, or if you want to use the maps for navigation. In terms of battery life, with the screen on, a newish iPhone will have battery life not far off a Garmin 1000, and with the screen off enough for a full days riding. You also have a choice of more apps using a phone, if you don't buy into the Garmin ecosystem. It used to be a pretty clear cut choice to go for a dedicated device, not so much these days.
  • shmooster wrote:
    There are reasons to have the phone on your bars, if you don't want to fork out for a Garmin and want to see your heart rate and speed/cadence for example, or if you want to use the maps for navigation. In terms of battery life, with the screen on, a newish iPhone will have battery life not far off a Garmin 1000, and with the screen off enough for a full days riding. You also have a choice of more apps using a phone, if you don't buy into the Garmin ecosystem. It used to be a pretty clear cut choice to go for a dedicated device, not so much these days.

I think your overestimating the iPhone 6's battery capacity and underestimating the Garmin 1000.
  • The 1000 is better than the iPhone, but not that much better. reports I've seen have said as little as 4 or 5 hours. I can get 3-4 hours out of my 5s. That means for a longer days riding you need an external battery for both of them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Basic garmin - put a breadcrumb trail in and you're sorted. Keep the phone safe in a back pocket.
  • shmooster wrote:
    There are reasons to have the phone on your bars, if you don't want to fork out for a Garmin and want to see your heart rate and speed/cadence for example, or if you want to use the maps for navigation. In terms of battery life, with the screen on, a newish iPhone will have battery life not far off a Garmin 1000, and with the screen off enough for a full days riding. You also have a choice of more apps using a phone, if you don't buy into the Garmin ecosystem. It used to be a pretty clear cut choice to go for a dedicated device, not so much these days.

Other than completely underestimating the battery life of the Garmin perhaps you ought to read the pages on customising the screen to suit what you want on it. ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • It was BikeRadars review that mentioned 5 hours, plus various forum posts about battery life on the 1000 so if it's being underestimated it's not by me. Not sure you what you mean about screen customising. I was talking about reasons to have your phone on the bars rather than in your pocket, i.e. being able to see what's on the phone screen if you're using (for example) Wahoo sensors for HR or Speed/cadence. I'm not against Garmin's, they're still probably the best solution for biking, I was just saying the gap isn't as big as it used to be between a dedicated biking device and a phone running a biking app.
  • Er, googling around more people are complaining about getting only 10 hours than five so maybe I (based on this very boutiques review) was being a bit harsh ;-)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My Garmin 1000 is good for 15+ hours of riding.

My iPhone 6 is probably good for 4-6 hours.

My Garmin's is waterproof and vibration proof.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • I use the Quad-Lock setup for my iPhone 5 and the gf has the same kit for her iPhone 6, all that's different is the case size.

It works really well, I have it on my mtb and it' never fallen off even while on bumpy trails and jumps!

Prob not the most aero thing you could use but it is solid if you really want to mount the phone to your stem
  • Funny looking back on this thread. In the end I bought a Garmin 510, and don't regret it at all. Based on that experience I'd say maybe start tracking on your phone if you have one but don't bother investing in mounts etc for it as eventually you'll realise you want a proper device :-)
  • I personally have a topeak drybag for my iPhone 5, have used it in very heavy rain before without issues. Plus I can fit my iPhone inside without having to remove it's case first. While the battery life isn't as good as a Garmin or similar, the advantages in other areas (like much better navigation) more than make up for that, for me. The only thing that would tempt me away is something like the Canyon Android bike computer (which is basically a remote screen for your phone).
  • Funny the things that get dredged up by spammers!

I've got a Quad Lock mount out front mount for my iPhone 6, it works quite well but I only use it for my turbo bike when I have a charging cable right there!

I've used it outside before and while it works, the screen is hard to see in any sort of light and the battery starts complaining inside 2 hours, so generally not worth it.
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I'd be really disappointed with 5 hours out of a 1000! I get 10 hours out of mine with all the sensors connected and running, no problem.