Loudly Squeaking Turbo Tyre

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Evening all

I came back from work all psyched up for my first Turbo session of the winter (late I know but I ve not had the chance for 3 months).

My Tacx Turbo Tyre squeals horrendously on the Santori Turbo - it's unusable. I don't remember it making any noise in the spring so this is a new thing. I ve tried adjusting the air pressure and the height of the roller but it makes no difference. I also gave it a good scrub but to no avail...

Does anyone have any ideas? Has the tyre worn out?!? I ll be pretty narked if it has...

Thanks
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    fwiw, I ve found the tacx tire to be total crxp, gf went through one in a couple of weeks and mine this winter lasted about a month, about 12hrs :cry:
    I ve now got one of the new style conti turbo tires and it appears to be really good, cheaper and much quieter.

you could try cleaning the metal roller with acetone and also check this metal sleeve is still attached to the plastic inner and that its not slipping around the plastic roller... you ll see what I mean! there are some youtube fixes if that's what is causing the noise.
  • ddraver
    Thanks Mamba!

I put the normal wheel back on and it was fine so it's likley the tyre. :(

Not been impressed with Tacx kit!!!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Update - well @TacxSupport tells me to clean the tyre with vinegar so i ll give that a go and have a look...
    - @ddraver
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    ddraver wrote:
    Update - well @TacxSupport tells me to clean the tyre with vinegar so i ll give that a go and have a look...
    My Elite Coperton trainer tyre has also been very squeaky recently. Perhaps I'll try this.
  • ddraver
    I can't think what has happened to it wrapped up in a box over the summer to make it this bad but we'll see...
    - @ddraver
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I just use an old tyre on a spare wheel for turbo. Ran the same old Conti one for about 3 years without any issues. The only problem is I now have a small pile of 'newer' old tyres building up to be used and I may have to just get around to binning them!
  • ai_1
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I just use an old tyre on a spare wheel for turbo. Ran the same old Conti one for about 3 years without any issues. The only problem is I now have a small pile of 'newer' old tyres building up to be used and I may have to just get around to binning them!
    I initially used an old tyre but that de-laminated pretty quickly and I switched to the trainer tyre. When I switched I noticed a decrease in noise but having not used the trainer all summer and taken it out again a little while ago I'm now finding the trainer tyre extremely squeaky. I may go back to an old tyre and see how they compare.
  • ddraver
    That's interesting Ai as that's exactly the same problem....
    - @ddraver
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Yup - same here. Can't really see the point in spending money on a turbo tyre when I have lots of tyres that are only fit for turbo-age anyway ........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ddraver
    Well Ai, first impression is that the vinegar appears to have worked so give it a go. I used White Wine vinegar from Albert Hein...which is probably the dutch equivalent of...say...Morrisons?

I ll see how it lasts on a full session tomoz.

Above, I don't wear out tyres that quickly I'm afraid. And when I first got the TV, the old tyre I had lasted about a month before getting a major bald patch. So there wasn't really another option.
    - @ddraver
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I give the tyre a quick wipe with water before/after every session and never had the squeaking problem, could be worth a try.
  • ai_1
    ddraver wrote:
    Well Ai, first impression is that the vinegar appears to have worked so give it a go. I used White Wine vinegar from Albert Hein...which is probably the dutch equivalent of...say...Morrisons?

I ll see how it lasts on a full session tomoz.

Above, I don't wear out tyres that quickly I'm afraid. And when I first got the TV, the old tyre I had lasted about a month before getting a major bald patch. So there wasn't really another option.
    I wasn't doing a session last night but I spent a few minutes cleaning the roller and giving the tyre a wipe down with vinegar out of curiousity and hopped on for a minute or so just to see if there was any change.
    It certainly seemed quieter although not completely cured.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think you need to add salt as well as vinegar to complete the curing process :wink:
  • ddraver
    ...well tacx is Dutch so it would be more likely that the vinegar would be complimented by some raw fish and onions....
    - @ddraver
  • I tend to find the same noise problem when the bike is set up on the turbo at the onset of winter. I rough up the surface of the slick, treadless, trainer tyre with a coarse sandpaper and that improves matters greatly.
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • ddraver
    So, it does seem that something happens with Turbo tyres softening/hardening up over the summer then...

fair enough, weird, but fair enough
    - @ddraver