A few questions on KMC missing links

Jules Winnfield
Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Right then, I've just replaced my Campag Veloce chain because after 3.5k miles, it was well overdue to be binned so I have just fitted a KMC X10-93 chain with the missing link. Cutting the new KMC chain to the right length was a doddle with my new Topeak chain tool but fitting the missing link was a different matter altogether. I tried to fit the missing link by hand because I thought all it needed was putting the pins in the plates, and just pull the chain apart to engage the pins and et voila..... but no. I didn't have the proper tool to clip both of the side plates and the pins together so I used an old plumbers wrench to do the deed..... Eventually.

Now I'm happy with the job I done, the drivetrain is running smooth and quiet and the chain looks great, but I'm a bit stumped about what happens if the missing link breaks on a ride and I have to fit another one. It was a nightmare fitting this in the garage but God knows how I'm going to manage with cold wet hands.

So here are a couple of questions.....

1. Just how sturdy are the missing links and do they have a tendency to break?

2. If anyone has had a missing link break, how did you fit it by the roadside?

Short of me buying the proper link tools, and/or carrying my plumbers wrench with me on a ride, I'm not entirely confident I'm going to be able to fix a broken missing link on the road. So any tips or advice regarding the fitting of these missing links in an emergency situation would be very grateful folks.
Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set

Comments

• The KMC link is probably stronger than the rest of the chain. I carry a spare link in case I have a chain break. Very easy to fit by the road side. Put the two halves together and pull, see http://www.kmcchain.com/en/technical.php
  • Hi John, thanks for the above link. I have just read the fitting instructions for the missing link and it said to lube the pins. I never done this so maybe this would help when fitting the link by hand. God knows how I can lube the pins by the roadside though.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2014
    You dont need a tool to connect it in place. just put the chain on big ring and put your foot and weight on the crank arm via the pedals. All you need is leverage.

You do need a tool to undo it.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=KMC+m ... ink+pliers

If a split link breaks when you are out. You carry spares. Make sure you buy the ones specific to your chain so 10 or 11 speed etc.

Ive never broken a KMC or Sram one whilst riding,but when doing a routine inspection i did find a pin had seperated from the plate a couple of times. That was on a Sram 10 speed split link. So inspect them regulary.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    What he said.
    However, you don't NECESSARILY need the tool to remove.
    A pair of these (found in most household toolboxes) will do the job just as well.http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-1 ... iers/37427

Or you can do the roadside removal method http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/member/201107050_0.pdf
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've never heard of a quick link failing, ever. Happy to be proved wrong though.

I find that 9spd. and 10spd. links are easy to open and close by hand, but 11spd. links are a different matter.
  • 1. Carry the pliers or follow 2. below.
    2. Learn how to undo them by making a triangle on your big ring and whacking it with your multitool or a convenient brick.
    3. Learn how to get them to close by treading lightly on the pedal.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    So here are a couple of questions.....

1. Just how sturdy are the missing links and do they have a tendency to break?

2. If anyone has had a missing link break, how did you fit it by the roadside?

1-I have used SRAM links for 5 years (av. 10000 km /year), mostly on Campagnolo chains, never one failed
    Two years ago I bought a KMC chain with missing link, and THAT one failed.
    2-5 minutes later I was riding again as I always carry a SRAM (old one)
    Just carry a used missing link in your toolcase, they are easyer to fit.

BTW, I never needed any tools for missing links, everything goes by hand without problems, but I don't use 11 speed.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I had a SRAM quick link fail on me a few months back in Spain, although I had a spare with me I pushed the bike the 500 or so yards I had to go to get home, got out of the blazing sun and fixed the chain while swigging a cold beer.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Never had a KMC QL break. If memory serves I used a 10 speed link for over 10K miles and finally replaced it due to wear grooves starting to show in the pins. For tooless removal try this. http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/member/201107050_0.pdf
  • keezx
    That's the problem , it happens so rarely that expierience is statisticaly not relevant.........
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Never felt the need to buy special pliers as the CTC method mentioned above is so easy.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fitting the links is easy - as said above, link them together, move the join to the top between cassette and crank then use the pedal to stretch the link ... Job done!
  • Cheers for the advice and tips guys, I will bear them all in mind. Got a turbo session tonight so it will be the first time I've used the new chain and link in anger so to speak. It will be interesting to see how slick and precise the new KMC chain will be.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    DKay wrote:
    I've never heard of a quick link failing, ever. Happy to be proved wrong though.

I find that 9spd. and 10spd. links are easy to open and close by hand, but 11spd. links are a different matter.

I have had a Sram quick link fail while climbing. One half was bent, as it would be if the chain was used with only one side taking the load. The other half was missing . It had been in use for about 500 miles so I don't see how I could have fitted it incorrectly. I don't see how it could have broken either. I managed not to fall and I carry a spare so it was no big problem. I use KMC now.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I had a 10 speed KMC missing link fail when the chain was in a jar of white spirit. Fished it out to find that one of the pins had fallen out of the side plate. Narrow escape there I thought! It had been in use a while though. Logically you should use a new link when you fit a new chain, but I recall I'd recycled this one a couple of times...
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    As said, the almost never fail. Fit loosely and push pedal round to seat if stiff. Toolwon't be needed for anything.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Ive been on a group ride when a rider had one fail. Very rare though. More chance of the chain snapping / plate cracking.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    DKay wrote:

I'll be another one to prove you wrong then. KMC 10 speed broken when setting off from a set of lights. Must have been the thighs :lol:

Luckily the easiest roadside fix as I had a spare and the chain required no breaking. Never broken one since so I'd put it down to bad luck.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I had a SRAM 10spd link fail after freewheeling down a steep hill with speed bumps.
    As I applied power at the bottom the chain just rolled off and lay on the road and my legs windmilled.
    I read somewhere that if the link is worn then a bumpy ride with no tension can cause the plate to come loose.
    I'm not sure how old the chain was but no more than 2500 miles.

I had to ring home :cry: so now carry a spare link.
  • paulbnix wrote:
    I had a SRAM 10spd link fail after freewheeling down a steep hill with speed bumps.
    As I applied power at the bottom the chain just rolled off and lay on the road and my legs windmilled.
    I read somewhere that if the link is worn then a bumpy ride with no tension can cause the plate to come loose.
    I'm not sure how old the chain was but no more than 2500 miles.

I had to ring home :cry: so now carry a spare link.
    So it seems some people have had them fail. Simple solution. Buy a pack of two, fit one. The other is a spare in your pocket or saddle bag for the slight possibiltiy the original, or some other part of the chain may fail.

If there is a simpler or cheaper solution to on the road chain failures I would love to hear it.
  • keezx
    It is what I do since my KMC link failed.....
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Why wouldn't you carry a spare kmc link? Mainly because one of the other 100 links could fail.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • keezx
    No, because chains follow Murphy's law.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I had a KMC chain snap on me today -amid a 60km MTB ride whilst grinding my way up a steep, muddy bridleway. Fortunately I have 2 KMC links on my chain, one link apart so I simply removed the single link and re-joined the chain. Never had any quicklink fail, but had a few sideplate / pin failures.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • (Thread necrophilia alert)

Is it necessary to use the missing link with a KMC chain? Is it not possible to use a chain tool in the normal way to shorten the chain and then join up the two ends without using the missing link?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Yes on KMC (and SRAM) chains you need to use the missing link. The pins are not designed to be split and rejoined. Other they could fail.
  • keezx
    (Thread necrophilia alert)

Is it necessary to use the missing link with a KMC chain? Is it not possible to use a chain tool in the normal way to shorten the chain and then join up the two ends without using the missing link?

No it isn't , but a suitable tool which gives a reliable connection is really expensive.
    A fter my KMC link failed I use only SRAM links which never failed.
    I a'm not a SRAM fan in general, but their missing links are good.
  • trailflow wrote:
    Yes on KMC (and SRAM) chains you need to use the missing link. The pins are not designed to be split and rejoined. Other they could fail.

Damn. I wish I knew that before I bought a KMC chain. I presume that Shimano single speed chains don't have missing links, do they?