Garmin 200

cpeachey
cpeachey Posts: 1,057
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to replace my edge 205. The new edge 200 does not appear to show altitude but...when you upload your ride to a pc can you then see a route profile and altitude gain?
Chris

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Mine shows gain as an option and when I upload to strava it shows how far I've climbed/descended
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Elevation gain is shown when uploaded Garmin Connect.Connect and Strava can be synced so it automatically uploads to Strava when it's uploaded to Garmin Connect.
  • cpeachey
    Thanks guys. The 200 will do the job.
    Chris
  • Be aware that the Garmin 200 measures altitude gain differently to Garmin's higher in the range. Typically you will find that if you ride with a cycling buddy with a higher spec Garmin, when you upload your ride, your altitude gain will be lower than his.
    This isn't a problem if you are simply interested in your own data.
    But if you're the type that looks enviously at your GPS buddies you may feel short changed that your Garmin 200 rides show lower altitude gains.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    To be honest I wish I had spent the extra money on the 500 so I could connect a cadence sensor and a wheel sensor for indoor training. Depending on how detailed you want to go with your riding the 200 is OK for most riders.
  • cpeachey
    It would only be for personal use and not be compared to other riders. I used the 205 to compare my personal fitness ie average speed compared to how hilly the ride was so the cheaper model will be fine.
    Chris
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Copy of screenshot from Garmin Connect as displayed from my Garmin 200.

Route, speed, elevation all displayed in graphic form. LHS also lists elevation gain/loss plus max and min elevation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pw0kqfoijtlsi6/Screenshot%202014-12-10%2010.31.38.png?dl=0
  • I used to have an old garmin and changed it for a 510 some months ago, and I have to say that the 510 is more precise with altitude readings, specially the current grade. This is because the 510 (and upwards) comes with barometric altimeter, while the 200 calculates altitude and altitude changes based on the GPS signals, and the barometric sensor is better at calculating altitude changes.
    If you're interested in grade readings, try to get a 510 instead of the 200. If not, I guess the 200 will suffice
  • cpeachey
    Thanks guys, thats very useful info