UK Gravity Enduro helmet rule

2»

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    That is ridiculous frankly. I'd like to see their reasoning for this decision. Someone in the comments was trying to get it out of them but they are staying tight lipped. It almost looks like it's simply to get that insurance company more money.

I can see plenty of people not bothering now. Honestly I wouldn't even know where to start looking for this and what to actually look for. They aren't being very clear about what they actually want from what I can see. I wonder if the insurance you get with some British Cycling memberships would cover you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Apparently BC liability insurance only covers you at BC events.
    It does seem odd that they tell you to contact this company rather than tell you what level of cover is required and suggest a few insurance providers.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    BC are a little unclear about it. I've copied what the Personal Accident Insurance and Third Party Liability Insurance say.

Personal Accident Insurance:
    Included with our Race Gold membership, this is a particular kind of insurance cover that provides cash payments if you are hospitalised overnight. Lump sum payments are also provided for death and permanent disability but loss of earnings and medical expenses are not covered under this policy.
    Who is it available to?

Race Gold Members

Personal Accident Insurance - the details

Personal Accident insurance cover is provided for all Race Gold members aged between five and 79 years of age. This is an additional form of insurance cover that provides cash payments if you are hospitalised overnight.

Lump sum payments are also provided for death and permanent disability but loss of earnings and medical expenses are not covered under this policy.

Who is covered?

Cover is for Race Gold members only and includes non-competitive, social, leisure and utility cycling and competitive cycling in events held under the auspices of British Cycling. Cover is also provided whilst participating in competitive events held under the auspices of other cycling organisations whose rules and regulations (including Event Safety Guidelines) are acceptable to British Cycling.

Cover includes direct travel to and from any venue for the purposes of participating in an approved event.

Benefits

Hospital cash benefit - £25 for each overnight stay up to a maximum £750 (additional £250 payable for 7 consecutive overnight stays)
    Permanent disability(7) : £25,000
    Loss of two or more limbs / loss of both
    Eyes or one of each(7): £25,000
    Loss of one Limb / Eye or permanent loss of speech/hearing(7): £25,000
    Permanent Total Disablement(7): £25,000
    Death: £10,000
    Main exclusions

Persons under the age of 5 and over the age of 79.
    Temporary or partial disablement.
    Specific cycling activities: professional cycling, monocycling.
    Occupational cycling and where the bike is a tool of trade.
    Conditions

Permanent disability is defined as “disablement which entirely prevents the insured person from engaging in any and every occupation for which the person is fitted by way of training, education or experience” for those aged between 16 and 74. For those aged under 16 years and not in gainful employment and those aged 75 to 79 years and in gainful employment at the date of the accident, disability is defined as “any and every” occupation. There is no cover for Permanent Total Disablement for those aged 75 years or over who are retired.
    Includes the use of dernys and electrically assisted pedal cycles which are not registered for road use
    Benefits limited to £5,000 max. for members aged 71-79 years.
    Geographical limit - worldwide subject to a maximum of 21 days per trip outside the UK.
    All claims to be reported within 28 working days and independent evidence required that the cycle has been involved in an accident.
    Whilst we are unable to provide this additional cover to members aged over 79 years and under 5 years, it is very important to remember that the essential members’ liability insurance cover is still provided to all Race Gold, Race Silver and Ride members without age restriction.

7) applies to Gold members joining or renewing their subscription after 30/4/14.
    The key part there is:
    Cover is also provided whilst participating in competitive events held under the auspices of other cycling organisations whose rules and regulations (including Event Safety Guidelines) are acceptable to British Cycling.
    I'm guessing that since BC have dropped out of Enduro the UKGE will not have acceptable rules and regulations.

Third Party Liability Insurance:
    Who is it available to?
    Race Gold, Race Silver and Ride Members

Third Party Liability Insurance - the details
    If you are involved in an incident causing injury or property damage that was (or is alleged to have been) your fault your insurance cover may indemnify you in respect of the legal costs of defending a third party claim and any resulting damages awarded against you. Cover is up to a limit of £10 million and British Cycling will pay any insurance excess that applies.

Just a quick email to say many many thanks to British Cycling and the underwriters for dealing with this, the whole process has been completely hassle-free with only minimum contact needed.
    Andrew Wilson

Who is covered?
    Race Gold, Race Silver and Ride Members that are normally resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

What is covered?
    Incidents in which you are involved whilst riding or wheeling your bike and which are alleged to have been your fault.
    Physical injury to third parties caused by your actions.
    Damage to third party property caused by you.
    Legal costs incurred in forming your defence.
    Damages awarded against you following a successful claim by a third party.
    Total cover for legal costs and awards of up to £10m.
    Race Gold, Race Silver and Ride members benefit from individual liability insurance cover for non-competitive, social, leisure, utility cycling and commuting and also whilst participating in timed events such as sportives.
    Race Gold and Race Silver members are also covered for competitive cycling events held under the auspices of British Cycling and whilst participating in competitive events held under the auspices of other cycling organisations whose rules and regulations (including Event Safety Guidelines) are acceptable to British Cycling.
    British Cycling’s member liability insurance is arranged on a ‘primary specific’ basis - which means that a claim will not be referred to any other insurance policy that our members may have unless the member is travelling to the USA or Canada, in which case the member’s travel insurance may be called upon in the event of a claim.

What is not covered?
    Important exclusions include:
    business use (eg cycle courier) but commuting is covered.
    deliberate acts.
    member to member liability (claims made against one British Cycling member by another) such as:
    one member against another in a cycling competition, race, time trial or timed event(5)
    any liability directly or indirectly caused to a member’s immediate family arising from either social or competitive cycling events
    claims against members who are not resident in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands

Events held under the auspices of other cycling organisations
    Cover at events is restricted to those events held under the auspices of British Cycling and whilst participating in competitive events held under the auspices of other cycling organisations whose rules and regulations (including Event Safety Guidelines) are acceptable to British Cycling
    The following organisations promote competitive events under rules and regulations (including Event Safety Guidelines) that are acceptable to British Cycling(6):
    Scottish Cycling (Scottish Cyclists’ Union)
    Welsh Cycling (Welsh Cycling Union)
    Cycling Time Trials (CTT)
    BSCA (British Schools Cycling Association)
    BUCS (British Universities & Colleges Sport)
    UCI affiliated National Governing Bodies

Event guidance notes for members
    Always check that the event is insured. Before participating in competitive events always consult the event organiser with regard to the existence and extent of liability insurance cover provided for all riders and officials.
    Check how much cover is in place. Whilst members may be covered under the organiser’s insurance arrangements they should be aware that some cycling organisations and promoters of competitive cycling events provide a significantly lower level of indemnity for their riders and officials
    Will you have to pay an excess? Some organisers buy insurance that may leave the member found to be at fault paying a large ‘excess’
    Make sure cover is not just ‘contingent’. Some cycling organisations may only arrange ‘contingent’ liability insurance cover for their event, which means that their policy will only provide cover in the absence of any other insurance policy. Under these circumstances any other insurance cover that the member or participant may have will be at risk
    Events held under the auspices of British Cycling and insured under British Cycling’s policy enjoy primary, not contingent, cover, have a policy limit of £10m and insured members are not expected to pay an excess.

I really have no idea if that would cover you or not. BC may or may not be willing to cover you and UKGE may not accept that as suitable insurance. Also how would you supply a policy with this. I don't think there is one, you're just a member of BC who offer these benefits.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    POAH wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    tweed valley isn't full of jumps and gaps
    Except the inners DH tracks, some of which were used for the enduro?
    I rode one of the EWS trails at glentress, it was steep, didn't really warrant a full face though IMO. The ones that do are the flat out fast ones with big gaps/jumps, where things happen so fast that you can't react.

must have been riding differ DH runs at my uplift days. there are a few drops and jumps but its not full of them.
    I didn't say it was...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    And now you have to organise your own liability insurance before you can enter UKGE and provide your policy number.
    http://www.ukgravityenduro.com/entries- ... surance-2/

I was going to do a couple rounds next year but now that I have to arrange insurance and buy a new helmet as well as the usual entry costs and other expenses I don't think I will bother.
    Serious bullshit. Like you I was thinking of racing a couple of rounds. I won't bother now, money is tight enough as it is.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    UKGE have said on Facebook that BC insurance will not cover you at UKGE events.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I don't get why they are making you getting insurance to race. they are covered with the race insurance for anything. If you do something to yourself that's your choice and has no impact on the organisers.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think it must be some sort of deal to get their public liability insurance cheaper.