Any experts on central heating/water pressure? aka plumbers

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited December 2014 in The cake stop
I live in a rented property and this is my first winter here. I noticed our radiators needed bleeding because they were only hot at the bottom. I turned off the heating and started to bleed the one at the top of the house, a tiny bit of air came out and then nothing at all. Went downstairs and noticed that the water pressure is really low (about 0.25 on the little dial).

I followed the instructions for increasing the pressure in the system from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUG0SPpofs. We have a combi boiler so you need to use the little key to unlock the system and then slowly turn the dial anti-clockwise to fill the system. Well, I tried that and there was no sound of the system refilling. The water just came out from the dial that I was turning...which made me think it must be full?

Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed by a novice, or do I need to call a plumber? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Don't mess with it, call your landlord . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Normally if you turn the key next to the boiler the water will go into the system and the pressure will increase. If that isn't happening you need a plumber.

It should be noted as I understand the regs end users shouldn't be able to re pressure a boiler because of the risk of putting too much in. In practice most of the time you can.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There should be a removable hose (if external filling) or link piece (if internal filling system).
    If you have water coming out when you open the valve it sounds like you need to connect the hose/link first.
    Sounds like yours is internal. Have you turned the 'key' you mentioned enough to lock it in the filling position?
    Internal filling is boiler specific so not quite as easy as the universal external filling loop.

This is normal though as there is not meant to be a permanent connection between the water mains and heating system.
    You just need to find out how yours connects/fills up. Its very easy when you know how and is something the home owner does. You do not need a plumber to do it.
    Normally the plumber/fitter shows the householder how to do it after fitting the boiler.
    You should have been shown by the landlord unless he does not want you touching it.
    Make sure he is happy to come out in 3 feet of snow on Xmas morning if he is unhappy for you to be able to do it :wink:

Make sure you do not overfill. That will operate a safety release valve and sometimes these do not fully seal after they have opened.
    Just fill up to about 1.5 bar, go and vent radiators, then return and repeat.
    Either that or have one person topping up, and another venting the rads.
    Make sure the pressure is at the correct value once you have vented all rads, then remove hose/link.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have just re read and watched video.
    Is yours exactly the same boiler/type of key etc?

If so, have you pushed the key in far enough before turning? Both of the black rubber 'O' rings need to go in.
    You could put some water or something on to lube them if that helps.

How much water comes out of the dial you are opening? Sounds like the key/link is not in the correct position if its leaking instead of filling.
    It can be a lot of pressure with nowhere to go if the key is not in correctly.
  • Cheers for the replies.

Yea, ours is exactly the same kind of boiler/key. I'm pretty certain I have put the key in as far as possible, it is really tough to get out though so maybe it has been damaged? The water that comes out isn't spraying, it trickles out and about an egg cup full came out earlier before I turned it off.
  • Beltaine
    Beltaine Posts: 166
    Surely on that boiler you have to insert the 'key' and then you have to turn/open a small plastic headed valve to get the water to actually enter the heating system ?(The valve is close to the key i sertion orifice !)Then turn off the valve when the system is correctly pressurised, and then remove the key. Yes, they can be tricky to remove, and yes, you do get a drop of water coming out.
    ....I don't know why; It's a perfectly cromulent word....
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I turned off the heating and started to bleed the one at the top of the house, a tiny bit of air came out and then nothing at all.

I have never tried to bleed radiators with the central heating turned off, I always did mine with it switched on, was I doing it all wrong for thirty years? :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Thanks again for all the replies. I tried again and managed to get the pressure up. The key was really worn and there is a real knack to getting it to catch the lock.

In the video I watched, it said to turn the heating off which I did the firs time. The second time I forgot to turn it off and it went ok... I'd still trust the pro in the video over me though.