A bit of DH bike p0rn

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
edited December 2014 in MTB general
Some tasty kit here:

http://gravityxtremo.com/dh-bikes-2015/

That NS looks 8)
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Meh
    Doesn't look particularly special to me. I quite like the Intense and Devinci.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Best looking DH out there atm has to be the new Summon Carbon...

Great looking bike and it'll no doubt ride like a dream, they're bloody light too, the top end model is under 33lbs!! :shock:
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's going to be a great ride, the old one certainly was but to me it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down and then got run over by the ugly bus. I would still have one but I put aesthetics as the lowest factor when buying a bike (just look at my Scalp for proof!)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Haha, not a fan then? It's not as ugly as the Foes or Ellsworth :?

I'd probably take the Intense, or maybe even the Demo as I had an 05 Demo 8 so would be good to see what 10 years of progress feels like.

The Agang's look nice too.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    This YT looks particularly offensive
    yt-industries-carbon.jpg?w=1020&h=669

But not half as bad as this thing
    sunn-efigear.jpg?w=800
  • YT Tues Carbon is Airwolf!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    YT Tues Carbon is Airwolf!

Haha, I was gonna say Street Hawk.. although when I just Googled a picture of it to jog my memory it's not anywhere near as cool as I remember it!

Hawk-rider11.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mmmm

Black

0.jpg

Or white

1-10.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks like Sunn have foregone even trying to pretend that they make proper bikes this year.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Stevo_666
    This YT looks particularly offensive
    yt-industries-carbon.jpg?w=1020&h=669
    Agree. Glad I bought my Alu framed Tuesday this year...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Looks like Sunn have foregone even trying to pretend that they make proper bikes this year.
    I think Sunn have gone bust.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I think Sunn have gone bust.
    About time.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    Their last DH bike was really bad. It just didn't ride right in any way. Suspension felt like it had a falling rate, steering felt unstable and it was poorly built with poor cable route.
  • ilovedirt
    Not to mention they would snap in half if you so much as looked at them funny...
    Well, that was more of a range-wide feature.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    Bit like the Lappierre DH720/DH920 then?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Steview-Smith-275-dh-devinci.jpg

I want this one
  • Stevo_666
    Steview-Smith-275-dh-devinci.jpg

I want this one
    That's nice for a 27.5 DH bike.

Glad to say I'm still happy with my YT - on performance, reliability and looks 8) The main problem is that I have no excuses now :P
  • rockmonkeysc
    27.5 downhill bikes don't quite look right, I haven't really liked the ones I have tried, just didn't feel right.
  • Stevo_666
    27.5 downhill bikes don't quite look right, I haven't really liked the ones I have tried, just didn't feel right.
    You're not wrong on the looks, those bigger wheels just don't look right. Not ridden one yet though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have ridden a prototype (can't say which one!) and a Giant Glory 27.5. I really liked the 26" Glory, I thought it was one of the nicest steering DH bikes, not any more.
  • Stevo_666
    I have ridden a prototype (can't say which one!) and a Giant Glory 27.5. I really liked the 26" Glory, I thought it was one of the nicest steering DH bikes, not any more.
    I looked at one bike (Solid Strike) that had a choice between 26" and 27.5" wheels with otherwise identical kit - seems like the main effect of the bigger wheels was to make the bike longer and slacker as you'd expect.
    http://www.solidbikes.de/media/files/68660_D_technical_information.pdf
    Not necessarily bad depending where you're starting from with the 26'er version.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The last Solid I rode, a Mission 9 rode like a real tank.
  • Stevo_666
    Not sure if you mean that in a good way or a bad way?

Solids look like that are in the same market as YT and Canyon.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Bad. Felt as heavy as an old style Giant Glory. The 250mm rear travel was a bit squishy as well.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Bad. Felt as heavy as an old style Giant Glory. The 250mm rear travel was a bit squishy as well.
    Never heard of anything with 250mm of travel before. Not that I'd need it.

The only thing I've got to compare to that I've tried is my mate's Spesh Demo, which is pretty good. I would have had a test ride on the Rose if I had been set on it, but never did eventually. Took a punt on the Tues and luckily it turned out good.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You would be surprised how many there are with 250mm+
  • Stevo_666
    You would be surprised how many there are with 250mm+
    Can you give me a couple of examples - I honestly don't recall seeing any current models with that much?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not current models. The original Santa Cruz V10, Karpiel Disco Volante, Foes 2:1 and I'm sure Intense made one as well and possibly Ancillotti
  • Stevo_666
    I wouldn't have known any of those, what with me being a bit of a new boy to DH.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think it's only recently Santa Cruz dropped to 200mm (ish) the V10 name refers to 10" suspension.