Alternatives to Bike Box Alan?

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
In the market for a new bike box to replace my aged B+W box. First thought was just get a BikeBoxAlan but there are a few new boxes out now Polaris Bike Pod, Shok Box amongst them. Anyone got any experience or able to offer an opinion on them? Not looking for the cheapest, looking for quality. Cheers.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    For £189 you can't go wrong with [url=thishttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/b-w-bike-box/]thishttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/b-w-bike-box/[/url]
    Be warned the wheels are a bit small but given the fact that a fair few airport scanners won't take a bike box Alan leaving you queuing for the oversized scanner, this is a winner.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I assume you don't want a like for like replacement because of the wheels and flimsy lock and not because the protection?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Have you tried Bike Bag Dave?
  • LegendLust wrote:
    Have you tried Bike Bag Dave?

From the people the brought you Bike Case Colin.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    edited December 2014
    Thanks itboffin, B+W is okay but showing serious signs of wear, particularly the bottom plate, where the hinges mount. The pop rivets are pretty well worn away and it's in danger of falling apart. I can repair this but I can't repair the small crack that is developing, also near a hinge. Daughter is off abroad on three training camps between January and March, and I'll need to use it a couple of times next year, so beginning to think it's not really up to heavy use.

Anyway, I've now bought a BikeBoxAlan. Supposedly top quality bit of kit.

Other two replies, please, no more, my sides can't take any more. Hilarious. :roll:
  • This is designed by a guy that owns lots of BBA's and other makes as he runs a rental business. He seems to have taken the good bits from different manufacturers and come up with his own.

I have had one and have used it this year several times. Very high quality, and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

http://www.bikebox-online.co.uk/velovault.html

Review here.

http://beyondgoinglong.co.uk/?p=4749#st ... dsHQj.dpbs
  • I am the designer of the Velovault. Thanks for the kind review above. I am not going to write myself a fake review or discredit any other products but just to explain what we've tried to do. We've NOT reinvented the wheel, but just made small improvements to reflect new bike technology, with bikes now having longer wheel bases, disc rotors, 29er wheels, many bikes having through axle hubs and no QR's. We have used top quality components for catches and hinge and the box is made of 99% British components and is made and assembled in Birmingham. Any questions just message me.
  • proto wrote:
    Thanks itboffin, B+W is okay but showing serious signs of wear, particularly the bottom plate, where the hinges mount. The pop rivets are pretty well worn away and it's in danger of falling apart. I can repair this but I can't repair the small crack that is developing, also near a hinge. Daughter is off abroad on three training camps between January and March, and I'll need to use it a couple of times next year, so beginning to think it's not really up to heavy use.

Anyway, I've now bought a BikeBoxAlan. Supposedly top quality bit of kit.

Other two replies, please, no more, my sides can't take and more. Hilarious. :roll:

Oh come on, they were quality posts!

But you made the right choice in the end. BBA's are quality and I don't regret buying mine.
  • If you are looking for quality why not just go for the ones that everyone seems to copy(inc Bike Box Bernard or whatever)?! SciCon's offerings are super tough, really light and well made, I've got a couple of the AeroComfort bags and a mate has the AeroTech - all brilliant.
  • On our trip to Italy this year 5 of us used Sci-con Aero comfort 2.0
    All the bikes arrived safely undamaged.
    Benefit is that you only need to remove the wheels and the bike is clamped to a steel frame in the base of the bag.
    We bought them from PBK for around £300 but can be found cheaper.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Shokbox. Just know the name, don't know the price etc

Apparently semi-hard bike bags are the best :)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Thule ?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2