budget overshoes

2»

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    cougie wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Neoprene is waterproof. But if you haven't a front guard with a flap - you're basically hosing down your legs and water runs down.
    Neoprene isn't waterproof, water will get through but it's designed to trap body heat and warm the water and insulate.

My neoprene wetsuit is waterproof. Water only gets in at the zip and the arm leg and neck holes.

Submersing it in a lake is worse than you're going to get on an overshoe.
    That's most likely a dry suit made of closed cell neoprene which is waterproof the normal open cell neoprene as used in overshoes and wetsuits (hence the name) or semi-dry suits is not waterproof but does keep you warm once wet as it uses body heat to warm the layer of trapped water.

Trust me - its a wetsuit - I've done umpteen ironman races in - they don't allow drysuits. Although that would be brilliant - floating around on top of the water.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I'd be tempted to go for those Planet X ones if waterproof is what you're looking for. I also have the neoprene px which are pretty robust, warm and a good fit so do the job well but no totally waterproof although perfectly ok in light rain for a short time.

Wetsuit neoprene isn't waterproof. while very good seals around neck, ankle, wrist and with tapped seams will help prevent most, it will get in. Its then warmed through body heat as suggested earlier - as an experienced surfer I know from experience.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The neoprene material itself IS waterproof - but obviously the seams and the whopping great leg holes are the weak points of all overshoes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I wear my cheap planet x for the commute 15 miles each way, they'll stay dry for about 10 miles even in the worst weather after that they remain warm which is all I care about, I then hang them on the Sheffield stand at the station with my bike, my winter cycling shoes are vented plastic MTB which sit under my desk between two servers and are always dry come home time.
    At the weekend I use castelli neoprene which as has been said let in water but stay toasty just like a wetsuit, of course I wear an older pair of vented road shoes I've I know its going to be wet.
    If its cold and dry I wear Belgian booties over my bling giros
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 849
    after a good look I think i am going to go with these BBB ones:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-hardwear-shoe-covers/

Neoprene covered with neoskin layer to help be more waterproof. Look to be worth the extra fiver.

thanks for the advice!
  • cougie wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Neoprene is waterproof. But if you haven't a front guard with a flap - you're basically hosing down your legs and water runs down.
    Neoprene isn't waterproof, water will get through but it's designed to trap body heat and warm the water and insulate.

My neoprene wetsuit is waterproof. Water only gets in at the zip and the arm leg and neck holes.

Submersing it in a lake is worse than you're going to get on an overshoe.
    That's most likely a dry suit made of closed cell neoprene which is waterproof the normal open cell neoprene as used in overshoes and wetsuits (hence the name) or semi-dry suits is not waterproof but does keep you warm once wet as it uses body heat to warm the layer of trapped water.

Trust me - its a wetsuit - I've done umpteen ironman races in - they don't allow drysuits. Although that would be brilliant - floating around on top of the water.

Cougie's right, my windsurfing winter (neoprene) wetsuit is waterproof, water gets in only at the openings and very little as it is tight fitting. They're classed as "semi-dry streamers" if memory serves, but they are still basically neoprene wetsuits. Drysuits are made of waterproof fabric (not neoprene) with ankle/wrist/neck seals.

Back on topic, I agree that BBB are the best overshoe brand for waterproofness and very warm even below zero too. And they are most definitely made of closed cell neoprene.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Coach H wrote:
    Whatever you do, DON'T buy Endura. For some reason, the lifetime of their overshoes can be measured best in hours or days at best.

I am still amazed every time a comment like this comes up as my Endura Road are on their 6th Winter and are still going strong!!

You actually have to take them out of the packet and put them on your shoes to wear them out... :wink:

Fairly sure they came nylon tagged to a piece of cardboard, but they have been in regular use so long I could be wrong :wink::wink:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Whatever you do, DON'T buy Endura. For some reason, the lifetime of their overshoes can be measured best in hours or days at best.

I've got Endura .... Work a treat!
    £22.00 from J.E.James :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'll second BBB. I have the heavy duty ones and they are great and sub£15 to boot (pun intended) The £20 ones you linked to look good too.

Now stop pontificating and get them ordered
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I have a pair of neoprene overshoes from Decathlon. They do get wet in heavy rain but my feet are still pretty dry. I have had them about 3 years now but as I don't commute any more they have not been used daily.
    These are http://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-cycling- ... 81458.html are similar to mine (and cheaper).
    The front pad and the joining velcro strip do get worn so I would not walk any distance. You can slip them off without removing your shoes.
    Just make sure you have taped over the holes in the bottom of your shoes.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 849
    t4tomo wrote:
    I'll second BBB. I have the heavy duty ones and they are great and sub£15 to boot (pun intended) The £20 ones you linked to look good too.

Now stop pontificating and get them ordered

haha, i've ordered!!