Singlespeed cross frame

weaty
weaty Posts: 122
edited December 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi
I have done the last 5 races of the cross season on my on one pompino singlespeed and have really enjoyed those races more than any race I have done before. So at the moment I plan to do next season ss.
My frame is a bit sad now and the seat post is seized in the frame (been a commuting work tool for years)so I might go new.
Does anyone race ss ? Is ebb, sliding dropout, tilting dropout or conventional track dropouts the best way to go ?
Any thoughts on a nice not too expensive ss cross frame would be good.
Thanks
P

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The older design of PX Kaffenback had dropouts you could swap from geared to SS but they've stopped doing that design now and had discs to slow you down too.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • weaty
    Thanks redvee I had not seen those, I will keep an eye out in the classifieds, sounds interesting.
    Cheers
  • Didn't Singular make one?

I think it's an excellent idea... mud and gears were never meant to be in the same place
    left the forum March 2023
  • weaty
    Yes singular made the kite, looks really nice, that would be ideal but I dont think they make it now, or I just cant find it in stock anywhere. A nice steel frame would be my first choice, riding my pompino off road reminded me why I like steel bikes :-)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    A friend of mine is racing the London League on a Pompino, and recently won a round.

There are a fair few options for a singlespeed frame, depending on your budget and brake preference.

- On-One still make the Pompino and the latest (v4) version has better clearance for mud
    - On-One Pompetamine (disc version of the Pompino)
    - the All-City Nature Boy
    - Cotic Road Rat (although it's not a pure CX frame)
    - Genesis Day One
    - Traitor Crusade
    - Cinelli Mash SSCX
    - 8Bar Tflsbrg
    - Spot Brand Rallye

Personally, I think the Pompino is hard to beat in terms of value for money. The main drawback is the 120 mm rear spacing, which means you have to use track hubs.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    The main drawback is the 120 mm rear spacing, which means you have to use track hubs.

Plus point for me, as I was looking at getting a Pompino for SSCX in the winter and grass track racing in the summer. Flip flop hub wheels, cheap mini v-brakes and I've got a dual purpose machine. Out of stock until February in my size :(
  • weaty
    I like the look of the all city nature boy and the traitor, both are quite hard to find in a medium though.
    The last two coments have pushed me back towards another pompino though, not only do i want to race cross on it but most of the time it will be a work bike, maybe not the best idea on a more expenive frame.
    Is the kaffenback swapout frame the same geometry as the pompino ? Would that be up to sscx ?
  • + 1 for the Nature Boy
  • weaty
    All city nature boy purchased :-) Thanks for input
  • weaty wrote:
    All city nature boy purchased :-) Thanks for input

Envy... :x