Headset cup removal - Carbon frame

Dazza Doom
Dazza Doom Posts: 50
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it possible to remove the headset cups on a carbon frame or are they glued in, destined to ruin the frame on removal?

I have a 2013 Giant XTC with the Overdrive 2 headset 'standard'. Im under the impression that i should be able to remove the top cup, replace with a normal tapered version, and then have a little freedom with which forks i can use.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Might be possible and easier to just swap the top bearing. The cup is probably a standard one.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    You may find that the cup has different internal diameter to support the bearings, pretty sure mine did when I got rid of the overdrive 2 headset.

You're right about swapping the upper headset though to run standard tapered forks, did it on my trance a couple of months ago, although I replaced the whole headset due to not being happy using different brands of upper and lower headset (I'm a little anal that way)
  • Many thanks for the replies guys.
    TBH I would probably change both ends if I was to do it on an alu frame, its my lack of knowledge on the carbon side that Im unsure about....
  • Just knocks out as it would with an alloy frame, good news is that no giant mtbs have overdrive 2 for 2015
    Dmr Transition 26"
    Giant Anthem 27.5 SX
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
    Cannondale Chase
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On My son's Scott there is an alloy reinforcing ring in the frame that doesn't come out then the alloy cup that just knocks out like it would from any other material frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.