Shimano 105 brake quick release lever not opening up pads

DCI Gene Hunt
DCI Gene Hunt Posts: 138
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Once a week I take my bike and attach it to my bike workstand for a good deep cleaning. I remove both wheels and fit a morgan blue chain keeper. I have 25mm conti gator tyres fitted front and rear and when I open the quick release brake lever on the front its easy to remove the wheel. When I remove the rear wheel and open the quick release lever the pads don't seem to move at all :? . I therefore have to partially deflate the tyre to get the wheel out. Would anybody know what I have to do to get the quick release to fully separate the distance between the pads ?

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    How are you clamping the frame,by the top tube or the seat post ? if its the top tube ,is the rear brake cable running across it,and getting caught in the clamp ?

Another way to widen the brake blocks more is to wind the barrel adjuster on the caliper in , then open the quick release.

If you have the barrel adjuster screwed fully in and your brake blocks set too close to start off with. Then there wont be much movement when you open the lever.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Rear cable stuck in the outer cable or caliper arms seized by moisture.
    Take everything apart, clean and lube.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Does the rear quick release lever open the caliper enough to remove the wheel without deflating the tyre when the bike is NOT in the workstand?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can also happen if the section of outer cable from top tube to caliper is too long; stops the caliper opening properly.