Tools for bike headset?

BIGBOSS78659
BIGBOSS78659 Posts: 61
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, my headset seems to make some noise when turning. I went to halfords and they said it might need re-greasing but i'm just going to overhaul the whole thing. I have attached some pictures of my headset and wondering how do you open it. It looks like all you need is a Allen key and a crescent wrench.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    More or less. A mallet helps. Read Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Can you tell me which kind of bearings do you think i will need?
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    You'll need to open it up and take a look - suspect it will be ball bearings rather than cartridge type. Whatever you need to replace with same size :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost certainly loose balls.

Undo the Allen bolt, push the stem down slightly and then pull it up and out, the. You just need the right size spammers to undo the locknut and main nut and drop the forks out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks, do you know what size do you think it might be. I do have 3/16 loose bearings. Is it possible to install caged bearings instead of loose.
  • Hi, i opened the headset and found the top bearing needs replacing. I'm just going to purchase new bearings. I'm trying to find the bearing i have currently got. I have uploaded some pics of the headset bearings. Does anyone know if the bearings that i want to purchase will work?
  • The Rookie
    yes they will, but personally I avoid using caged bearings as the cage is a weak point, instead go to a bike shop and get enough bearings to form a continuous circle round the cup, basically you fit as many as you can, I've never counted them so don't know how many it is.

Don't use Lithium grease in a bearing, it's the wrong type, get a small amount of red rubber grease in a squeeze sachet, can be found on ebay for not much.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have already ordered caged bearings like in the photo. I also ordered weldtite tf2 red grease. I will give you an apdate once i have installed them.
    Thanks
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I use the weldtite lithium grease, states its for headsets BB's etc , any reason not to?
  • The Rookie
    Yes, its shite grease, it 'hardens'' with time and doesn't protect very well when it does.

I could state that lard is for greasing a headset when I sell it to you, would you just accept that? (Actually pig fat is better than beef fat as thousands of years of use before the advent of decent grease will testify, but that is an aside!)
  • zx6man
    Why would'nt I accept it if I go to LBS and ask for headset grease and they offer me it :-) . Either way, mine is checked and greased freshly each year so never had the hardening issue.

The lithium stuff doesn't feel like a grease to be honest and always thought it a bit too runny.
  • The Rookie
    Red rubber grease is a much better option (especially on older headset designs as it's' waterproof' or at least fairly resistant to being washed out) as it's 'sticky' nature tends to keep in circulating where you want it.
  • zx6man
    I have plenty of the red grease, so may as well use that then instead of replacing the lithium stuff when it runs out.
  • The Rookie
    I would.....
  • Why worry, I'm guessing that's the first time this headsets been looked at since the bike was new, with that service interval by the time it needs looking at again it'll be in a skip somewhere :)
  • The Rookie
    Because with lithium grease in the it won't last that long, OE grease is usually a stock LMP clear grease.