Gloves for sub zero riding

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
As the temp is dropping considerably now, I'm looking for some gloves that will keep my hands warm in sub zero riding but also allow me to still change gears/brake properly. The only other requirement I have is to have gel padding, so I don't get problems with my hands on long rides. I normally use my mtb endura dextra gloves with some liners, which are great for 3/4 of my riding, however I still get cold hands in sub zero riding.

I also have some specialized sub zero lobster style gloves - they keep my hands perfectly warm and are find on my mtb, but don't make it easy to change gears on my road bike. I've seen some pearl izumi elite softshell gloves for around £35 in my local pearl izumi shop - anyone tried these?

Any suggestions? I don't have a specific budget in mind as quality is more important, although I'd usually look around £30-50 mark ish. If quality is there, I'd be prepared to pay more as they'll likely last me a long time.

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've tried various combos of gloves and have ended up using a thin merino inner glove with a good windproof glove over the top. Seems to work better for me than one thicker glove.

Currently liking the rapha merino liner and their new winter glove is pretty nice. I also have a relatively inexpensive Spesh windproof glove (descent?) that performs pretty well by itself down to about 5 degrees and is good down to zero when paired with the inner gloves.
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    I use Sealskinz all weather gloves they work fine for me !

Barrie
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,035
    Same as Stueys for me - if it is even colder then 2 pairs of merino inners with the wind proof over the top. The other thing that helps is making sure you are generally well wrapped up as (unless this is an urban myth) if your core is warm the body will release more blood to the extremities which keeps them warm.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As per above - merino glove liners were a game changer for me.

I am using Rapha winter gloves, with liner. Rode in minus 4 for some distance yesterday before dawn and was just fine.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've got a pair of Spesh Subzeros, but an older version that leaves the forefinger free and the 3 remaining fingers together. I used them on Friday night (-1 degrees) with thin silk liners and they were great. Used them on their own Saturday (+4) and they were too warm! I do find the finger configuration better than lobster gloves though....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • jwoody
    jwoody Posts: 43
    Pearl Izumi Pro softshell are very warm and don't feel too thick
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    ski gloves, lobseter gloves, don't like them personally but your hands will be warm. Of course if your Russian you probably won't wear glove until it is -10
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Altura Nightvision waterproof gloves- even without their glove liners they are good down to well below 0 for me. I don't use them above 5C at all or else they get much too warm and sweat up!
    And the glove liners are great for use with summer long fingered gloves for the warmer winter days.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    barrie h wrote:
    I use Sealskinz all weather gloves they work fine for me !

Barrie

Me too
  • I have been using a pair of Endura FS260 pro nemo for the last few week in sub zero temps. and found them to be ok. Not too thick to be a hindrance and warm enough for 5+ hours in the cold.

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/search/fs260-pro-nemo
  • I've tried them all. And, in the last few weeks, even more.

Assos glove system DOES work but it's so tricky to put on.

Castelli Estremo, good to about 4.

Rapha Deep Winter Gloves. Yeah, no.

DeFeet Dura Gloves. As good at 3-4 degrees as the two above (which is remarkable).

So, in the end, went back to old trusty. Pearl Izumi Lobster Pro Softshell. Brilliant even without a liner. Awesome with. I only tried the others as I wanted fingers. But, now, I just don't care.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Assos Early Winters and the Lobsters on top. Below about -5C (apart from wondering why you are out) add the liner glove. That's taken me down to -11C at which point freezing gear cables/FD (why do they put it in the firing line of the rear wheel on an MTB :roll: ) makes riding a bit of a chore in any case.

Whatever you choose, I think layering is the key (why should your hands be different?). It also makes drying stuff so much easier (ever tried drying a pair of SealSkinz "waterproof" gloves? The only thing waterproof about them is keeping the water in - it takes days)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Just bought some sealskinz lobster gloves and my hands were way to hot in 3c. Should be good for minus temps.
    Take a bit of getting used too.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Get this, I have twenty pairs of gloves yup twenty, not that I have a think for gloves just that I struggled to find the right combo of feeling plus warmth.

In the end ive actually found just layering a good wool plus windproof for autumn and a proper liner and shell outer for winter works perfectly, ultimately the autumn combo cost me about £40 and the winter £30 in the meantime I've spent hundreds on all sorts of fancy rubbish.

They're Louis Garneau but to be honest I think any layered solution would do, also look at the planet x Flanders
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    (why should your hands be different?). It also makes drying stuff so much easier (ever tried drying a pair of SealSkinz "waterproof" gloves? The only thing waterproof about them is keeping the water in - it takes days)

Poor MRS got traumatised by a pair of Sealskins he had 5 years ago and has never been the same since!

Two ways of drying them. MRS method in which you sit staring at them for several days getting progressively more bitter about the unfairness of life or you put them on a radiator, facing upwards, and they'll be dry before the heating switches itself off.

My sealskin gloves have been fine but not really warm enough for my crap circulation. My experience of my 8 quid Aldi lobsters over the last few days makes me think that three finger gloves are the solution! Except that you can't flick a V at crap drivers...... I may follow the advice of ITB which is not something I would say lightly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Another vote for the Sealskinz lobster mitts.
    Keep your hands toasty and you get used to them when changing gears.
    You cant go wrong especially at that price!
  • I've found layering to be Ok but sometimes a little too tight/cumbersome, I've tried sizing up with Assos Early Winter but find the gap at the end of the fingers a little cold depending on temperature/wind conditions.

Castelli Extremo have been good for colder weather, again a little cumbersome and the tips of the fingers start to get colder after a few hours.

Last night I ordered the following which I hope will take the place of the Castelli for colder/wetter rides;
    http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/showers-p ... -1896.html
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.