29er Bike. Worth it?

BIGBOSS78659
BIGBOSS78659 Posts: 61
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, at the moment I have a 26" full suspension bike. It had a lot of work done to it. For example:
New Rims (Back and Front)
New Outer Tyre Grips (Front and Back)
New Rotors and brake pads (Front and back)
New Gear Shifter[/color]
Spent around £150 to get this bike fully working. However, I do know that the bike is not worth that much and there are some problems to the bike that needs fixing such as:
Headset regreasing or replacing bearings
Brakes sequel as hell
Freewheel needs tightening or replacing
Needs new brake pads again
Needs new brake cables
Doesn't feel like a new bike, I feel it's time to upgrade.
What if i fix all these problems then later on there will be another problem. With a new bike i think i probably wouldn't encounter these issues. Most likely i will probably purchase halfords care plan which they will sort any problems out. All i have to do is purchase the parts. I did actually ask halfords could i purchase a care plan on my current bike and they quoted me £100 for repairing the bike and then £60 for the care plan. He said to me that it's not worth it, you should consider purchasing a new bike.
Here is the link to the bike I want to purchase:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -2015#tab2
I can get 10% discount which makes it £296.10
Do you think this bike is worth my money?
Do you really need a rear suspension?
I was also thinking of purchasing Halfords Care plan, what do you think?
I will be riding this bike for going to school. Go up hills, Ride about 25 miles a week
Do you think I should bike this bike?
What will be the advantages for me?
Or do you think I should stick to my current one
The bike is going to be built by Halfords so I can see before I purchase.
I really appreciate all the responses I will get, it will really help me
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, it's a £299 bike if that. The person who decided £659 was on serious drugs.
    Low spec, mechanical discs and probably the nastiest fork in the world. (Presuming the Suntour website is correct and it is really an undamped pogo stick).

All bikes need regular maintenance, so just read Parktools and DIY. Care plans are pointless as bikes don't have scheduled periods like cars, so all Halfords will do is not charge for labour and charge you RRP for parts.

But as you give no clue as to your current bike, it's impossible to say if this is any better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps what are 'outer tyre grips'?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I will probably upgrade the discs etc. But is it worth it for the money. Are there any other bikes that have better spec. Budget is around £330. I like the frame and there are a lot of good reviews saying that they will recommend the bike to anyone.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The £659 price is just put up by Halfords so they can then reduce the price closer to what it should be to make money off people who don't know any better. They do this all the time and for me it is very , very dubious producing fake sale prices.

The Voodoo Hoodoo is a much better bike and if you get 10% off it will cost you £360 which is £30 more than you current budget. The Voodoo normally sells for about £400 so Halfords have been at it again with the fake sale prices , just in time for Christmas.
  • So, you wouldn't recommend this bike that i wanted to purchase, it looks and has got good parts. It has a lot of good reviews online. And its at a decent price. I'm only 16 and im not rich or anything. My budget is £330 no more than that. So what do you think?
    Should i upgrade the brake system to avid BB7 or should i just stick to my current bike
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    here is a similar 29er bike to the Carrera Hellcat but only cost £ 233 GT timberline just remember all bikes need maintenance, even new bikes need tweaking.
    i would suggest getting a bike tool kit something like this and read the parktool website/post here and you find you can most likley fix most of your problems.
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It hasn't got good parts, they are shite......

What do you ride now? It really shouldn't cost too much to get it right, I can fix most bikes up for less than £30 in parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A good 29er is worth it a bad is not. A bad bike is a waste of money. I race rigid and do well so do you need suspension, well it depends on where you ride really. Most people don't need suspension especially at the rear. One guy at the race today said he wished he brough his hardtail as his full suser just sapped energy on the XC course we rode. At the price range you are looking at rear suspension just does not work well enough. I don't even think the budget suspension fork work well enough but I am biased I ride rigid. The GT is better speceed bike but still not specced the way I would like (you have to spend alot more for Deore/SLX or XT) go with that while you can, or get you current bike fixed which is probably the better option. Rookie if you worked in a shop and saw the horrow shows we see £30 of parts even at trade normally does not even start to cover it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.