Colnago C40

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
I fancy something a little bit different to the stock matt black carbon and am looking at a Colnago C40 with Record.

I'm reasonably new to cycling but I assume these would still be a reasonable ride?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    http://thewashingmachinepost.net/colnago/c40/index.html

It's basically a classic super bike. Once you've ridden that - not much can top it I reckon. Are you worthy of it ?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    When asked what the best bike ever made was in an interview, without any hesitation Bradley Wiggins answered 'Colnago C40'...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I fancy something a little bit different to the stock matt black carbon and am looking at a Colnago C40 with Record.

I'm reasonably new to cycling but I assume these would still be a reasonable ride?

If it was my C40 that you were looking at on eBay - I've since removed the item from sale (I should never have been looking to sell it as I always promised myself it would be a 'keeper').

Too many bikes and I've not used it much in the last 12 months but I shouldn't be selling it - will need to move another one on instead.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They're 10 years old now, but the C40 was 'the bike' of the late 90s-00s. I have a CT1 of the era and it has a handling and feel that is just superb. The only issue is the finishing of the alloy rear drop-outs - they were un-anodised and there have been reports of cracking due to corrosion so inspect a frame carefully.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    But is it stiff enough?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Chap from my LBS took it out the other week and commented on the stiffness of the frame.

How stiff does it need to be? Is this thread not something for 'Bottom Bracket'?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Well according to all the frame manufacturers it has to be stiffer than a stiff thing. Every year they're getting stiffer so that makes a frame that is this of this vintage very limp indeed. My 2008 EP must also be rather flaccid.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    NapoleonD wrote:
    When asked what the best bike ever made was in an interview, without any hesitation Bradley Wiggins answered 'Colnago C40'...

What does he know. He like Ocean Colour Scene for god's sake!
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    It's the one bike I have that I will never sell.