Replacing FSA Mega Exo BB

tomhowells
tomhowells Posts: 171
edited December 2014 in Workshop
I have an FSA Omega chainset, and I need to replace the BB. I know from the side, it's a Mega Exo BB 4000 19".
My question is, since the FSA BB's are generally regarded as less durable (and more expensive) than Shimano, can I substitute my current BB with a different make without having to change the chainset?

Thanks
Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
Moda Intro - Winter
Planet X Stealth - TT

Comments

• tomhowells wrote:
    I have an FSA Omega chainset, and I need to replace the BB. I know from the side, it's a Mega Exo BB 4000 19".
    My question is, since the FSA BB's are generally regarded as less durable (and more expensive) than Shimano, can I substitute my current BB with a different make without having to change the chainset?

Thanks

Yes I did the same on a Focus - identical. And the Shimano ones has now done ~4000 miles including some winter riding and is still fine - the Meag Exo would have failed by now and its a lot more expensive as well
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Sorry but on the face of it you appear be stuck with the FSA stable. The Mega Exo BB 4000 requires a spindle diameter of 19mm. All standard Shimano Hollowtech II BB's require a 24mm spindle diameter. So if you want to change I'm afraid it's BB and crankset together.

Shimano BB's are pretty cheap tho' and you can pick up a used chainset cheaply also.
  • Good point - I went back and checked and mine was a mega exo 6000 - this is Hollowtech II copmatible
    Apologies
  • Thanks Guys,

Looks like I will be looking for a 2nd hand shimano chainset then!
    As an aside, if I am currently on a compact, could I sub a standard in there without too much faffing around? (apart from chain length, obviously).

Cheers
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    tomhowells wrote:
    Thanks Guys,

Looks like I will be looking for a 2nd hand shimano chainset then!
    As an aside, if I am currently on a compact, could I sub a standard in there without too much faffing around? (apart from chain length, obviously).

Cheers

Yes - completely interchangeable between compact and standard. Check your chain length against this calculator to see if you will need to replace your existing chain.

http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_l ... tm#results

You may also have to tweak the height of your front derailleur to accomodate the larger 53 tooth chainring
  • Cheers Arlo, very helpful - I hadn't thought about FD height! Nice one.
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT