Triumph for a mechanical duffer

wallace_and_gromit
wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,398
edited December 2014 in Workshop
OK. This is a very minor achievement on the grand scale of things, but I've just changed my first chain. I got fed up paying over £30 for a new chain to be fitted by the LBS, so bought a heavily discounted chain off Wiggle, borrowed my neighbour's chain tool, armed myself with the Shimano instructions and a Haynes manual, took a deep breath and dived in...

The patient was on the operating table for approximately half an hour and appears to have survived. All the gears work and on a short test ride, the chain didn't fall off or snap.

I doubt I'll be building my own bike any time soon, but as a self-confessed mechanical duffer, I feel quite smug and will invest my savings on Tesco's "3 for £5" offer on Fursty Ferret. :D

Comments

• 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Now you've started, you won't stop until you can do a full strip down and rebuild!!! :)

Hope you invested in a 'quick link' , makes removing the chain so much easier.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you were following Shimano's advice did you join the new chain using one of their snap-off joining pins?

I too prefer to use a KMC missing link on my Shimano chains.
  • I did use the snap-off fitting pin that came with the chain. If done correctly, should this be OK or do I need to bite the bullet and do the job again with a quick/missing link?

Thanks.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    NO, correctly installed they are as strong as the rest of the chain. Top job!
  • keef66 wrote:
    NO, correctly installed they are as strong as the rest of the chain. Top job!

Phew! Let's hope I haven't farked up the installation.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Relax - it'll be fine. It's a bicycle, not the space.

Bicycle stuff is a piece of pisssss and anyone who tells you at different is lying. Somewhere warm with good light to do the job, proper tools, some patience, a bottle of Barolo nd some salami is all you need.

Good on ya for the chain. Brake cables next, the gear ones, and take it from there. All very simple yet rewarding jobs.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.