What pedals are these? (Picture attached)

plod2
plod2 Posts: 11
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

I have recently got into road cycling and now thinking of upgrading to clipless pedals + cycling shoes. I have access to an old bike that I can take the pedals off. The images are below. Does anyone know what kind of pedals these are and what type of shoes/cleats are compatible? Also how are these pedals, is it ok to use these as a beginner or is it worth buying new?

DDc27i.jpg
H5X3KZ.jpg

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Look like MTB style SPD to me
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    zx6man wrote:
    Look like MTB style SPD to me
    Yup, with adaptors on the other side for normal shoes which you can take out and use as double sided spd.Some may argue that proper road shoes with 3 bolt cleats on the outside offer more connection/power etc but tbh unless your a top level rider i doubt theres any real difference assuming your shoe has a decent stiff enough sole .
    The above pedals take 2 bolt MTB cleats like sh 51 `s with a "mtb" shoe which you can either have looking like a trainer or a more slimline shoe depending on what you like .
    As long as the bottom looks like this ...
    Pearl-Izumi-Select-MTB-SPD-shoe-300x300.jpg
    and not like ...
    Shimano_SH-R098A_SPD-SL.jpg
    I prefer "mtb" style spds to raod shoes as they are a lot easier to walk on as the cleat is recessed , currently using A520 single sided pedals on the commuter/ winter bike, m530s on the winter MTB commuter and a 600s on the nice bike .
    If your pedals are ok with the bearing etc still smooth then use them , unless of course you want a new pair :)
    FCN 3/5/9
  • SPDs, but I don't think it's the flat pedal adaptor, it's the reflector fitting they sometimes come with. I recent pair I bought came with them. They do give a flat bit, but pedals are supposed to be supplied with reflectors by law, the same as bikes.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    They should be okay - easier to use than SPD-SL road pedals. I would make sure they are at loosest setting so you can clip in and out easily.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    SPDs, but I don't think it's the flat pedal adaptor, it's the reflector fitting they sometimes come with. I recent pair I bought came with them. They do give a flat bit, but pedals are supposed to be supplied with reflectors by law, the same as bikes.
    And what about all the other clipless pedals out there that that do not come with built in reflectors like egg beaters, spd -sl , double sided spds, etc .
    Im not arguing the technicality of the law but most spd pedals do not come with reflectors , i doubt the pold are going to stop you assuming you have decent lights ..... well they have not stopped me in over 5 years of commuting .
    Look like SM-PD22 to me.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/smpd22-auto- ... 26992.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • SPDs, but I don't think it's the flat pedal adaptor, it's the reflector fitting they sometimes come with. I recent pair I bought came with them. They do give a flat bit, but pedals are supposed to be supplied with reflectors by law, the same as bikes.
    And what about all the other clipless pedals out there that that do not come with built in reflectors like egg beaters, spd -sl , double sided spds, etc .
    Im not arguing the technicality of the law but most spd pedals do not come with reflectors , i doubt the pold are going to stop you assuming you have decent lights ..... well they have not stopped me in over 5 years of commuting .
    Look like SM-PD22 to me.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/smpd22-auto- ... 26992.html

if you are in an accident it may be viewed as contributory negligence!
  • Biomech
    Biomech Posts: 158
    You can pickup some reflective 3M tape on ebay for a few quid.
    I have things on my bike that meant I couldn't get the reflectors on as well (lights, bags, gopro etc), so I bought some. The tape is black so in the day you don't know its any different (I put mine on the black parts of the bike), but when the light hits it it shines like mad. I use it on my helment, pedals, mudguards, seat post, forks, bars and mudguards.

This guy is using some in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5muia44XI
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As said MTB SPDs the black adaptor unclips.as you would unclip your foot.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    nicklouse wrote:

+1 I've got 'em on the old steelie, franky they're a PITA as they make it hard to get into the pedals, on the upside there's the reflector and flat shoe benefit.

IMHO, two sided MTB pedals are best bet for a noob getting into clipless.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    SecretSam wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

+1 I've got 'em on the old steelie, franky they're a PITA as they make it hard to get into the pedals, on the upside there's the reflector and flat shoe benefit.

IMHO, two sided MTB pedals are best bet for a noob getting into clipless.

These ARE two sided MTB pedals. They have a plastic bit clipped to one side. If you want two sided pedals just unclip the plastic bit. It is that simple! I use them on my road and mountain bikes. I have no problems clipping in or out.