Proviz360 jacket

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
just wondering has anybody got one of these yet and whats the verdict on them?

seen them in halfords this morning and they do look a good job for night riding have to say....tried it on to and did feel quite comfortable.just looking some feedback cos i might just hit the buy button as i seen them on amazon for quite a bit cheaper than halfords were selling them at.
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    They're £63.99 on halfords website - £58-ish if you have BC membership, or £59.99 on Tredz plus £5 off if you use the pop up voucher thing. http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Proviz-Reflect- ... oC7LLw_wcB
    I'm still on the fence about getting one, I get the feeling they might very sweaty
  • There's a review of it here

Looks okay for leisure cycling/commuting, however maybe too bulky for riding quick.
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    I got the gilet after talking to someone who bought the jacket. It was too warm for him, I normally take a medium but I'm a proviz small, the size guide was accurate. As for whether they work I can honestly say they do, ridiculously bright when the car lights shine on you.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,714
    I was in the car and saw a guy wearing one, very bright. I was impressed from that point of view.
  • seen these in action - they're great. But as already mentioned, hard shells/water proofs are generally crap for cycling. If a soft shell version of this came out which was highly breathable, i'd be all over it.

I imagine i'm not alone here, but breathibility comes top of the priority list.
  • The Capo Padrone jacket offers a similar effect and is less sail/parachute like in cut, although with a steeper price.

http://pedalandco.com/capo-padrone-high ... Alj48P8HAQ

For commuting, ProViz also offer a backpack and cover in the same material, so you could get the reflectivity where it matters and use a different jacket with better fit/breathability.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I saw a review of a similar jacket ( Sugoi Zap ?) The reviewer said it was only good in certain conditions... Like taking flash photography of the jacket for a shop website :D While for other scenarios like cycling past a car from left to right while it's at a T-junction it wasn't any better than another jacket. I see his point... the jacket only good if you're in the cars headlight beam
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's reflective. That's kind of how they work.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Cougie, that's what I'm saying. People think they are the be all and end all of cycling at night and if you wear one you're invincible. You might be better off with decent wide angle lights.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Who said that ? Decent lights will always be required. A reflective jacket comes after that - if a car is parked up he can't see you reflecting if he looks in his wing mirror. You need lights for that. A car joining your road on a slip road too - you won't reflect alongside him.

If he's driving behind you however - perfect.