Brake cable frame stops

booldawg
booldawg Posts: 290
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Not even sure these are what they are called!

I'm attempting to buy the metal caps that crimp onto the brake cable outer to stop them moving through the lugs on the frame (this is on a V brake)

I thought I'd ordered the right item but they ended up being the ferrules that go on the end of the cable to stop it fraying.

Please can anyone provide a link to the correct item as I cant find them on the usual big components retailers websites.

TIA
1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Jagwire do excellent end caps, search ebay, cheap and nasty are steel, the better ones are plastic, although your outer shouldn't go through the frame stop without it anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not seen any crimp on ones available. Very rare on outers now.

As above not needed.

If your outer is passing through it sounds like you have a frame for hydro brakes or full length outers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • booldawg
    Thanks all - I don't think there is a need for them based on what you have posted (I've not fitted the new cable and outer yet)

The notion I needed them came from the YT video I watched for fitting new cable and outers. The poster had a handful of these that he crimped on.

• The Rookie
    Usually they are plastic and push on, you need (well want anyway) them anywhere you have a cut end, if your frame is designed for full length outers the you just need one at each end.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • booldawg
    I've been out to the garage and done the job.

I was able to pull the end caps off the old cable outers and re-use them. They were aluminium and had a pin-point hole in one end (for the inner cable) and wider the other end (for the outer cable).

• The Rookie
    Not the best, but will do the job, be prepared to have to tweak cable tension if there is some settling wheel you have pushed them on.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    booldawg wrote:
    I've been out to the garage and done the job.

I was able to pull the end caps off the old cable outers and re-use them. They were aluminium and had a pin-point hole in one end (for the inner cable) and wider the other end (for the outer cable).
    Without seeing anything I will guess they are adapters to allow broken length outers to be used in full length mounts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    They sound like the cheap cable end caps you get on BSO's to me....